Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Colin,

Molex connectors for the i/o is perfect.

Will you be making the mechanical drawing of the faceplate (or FPD file) available to those of us who are making our own faceplates/cases? Call me lazy but I always hate getting the calipers out and measuring pcbs to find pot/switch placement for panel work.

Thanks again for this project and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I'm interested in the rack unit style.

I'm also wondering if these PCBs could be used to do a 1066 clone. I'm not sure, but I think the only difference is the EQ frequencies. Perhaps swapping some RC values could produce an ez1066?

Thanks!

earthsled said:
I'm also wondering if these PCBs could be used to do a 1066 clone. I'm not sure, but I think the only difference is the EQ frequencies. Perhaps swapping some RC values could produce an ez1066?

They are different but you could probably achieve the 1066 frequencies by just swapping some capacitors....and make a sort of hybrid ez1066.... experimentation is much of the point of this exercise...

I expect that the 500 series will be first to "pop" out of the system as we are still waiting for the new mains transformer for the rackmount version ..

It looks as though Pete (Grandmaster Audio) will be making the 500 series metalwork....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hey colin, just wondering what is the idea behind the "slots" in the pcbs around the output transformer of the 500 series - visible on the right two images:

ez1073-500_prototype.jpg

It is just because it is a prototype.... all the boards were made as a single PCB with a single continuous routed profile which means that the transformer hole is made by running the router into the board rather than taking it off the PCB and making a seperate hole (because that just leads to more work for me)..... real PCB's are not done that way.

The production version will not actually need the transformer hole as there is enough clearance anyway.....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Wooo, this looks awesome, please count me in.  This would be a great first project, I've been eying up the 1290 for a while now and this is absolutely perfect timing!

Pete (Grand Master Audio) knocked up a quick sample of a faceplate from a bit of old scrap aluminium.....

Shows the general idea:

ez1073-500_with_proto_faceplate.jpg

The second revision of the ez1073-500 PCB should be here next week.... after which we should be able to start on the "real" stuf with Gustav and Pete.

Took it to the studio today to play with ...... works a treat.

The second revision of the rackmount type is awaiting the new mains transformer before it can procede... that should be here next week ... at which point it will be possible to complete the PCB layout.

Colin

Looks awesome, I can't wait!  I'm definitely in for at least 1 rackmount, but I'd really like to get 2.

Hi Colin,  great proyects!

I saw you are using simple regulators for 24v supply,  then, your virtual ground is ?  Are you using 1 regulator for +16 and another for -16 ?
Can you post a schemo on how you manage this ?

Congratulations !  You will sell this like kits ? pcbs only ?  let me know!

Cheers

" Turning Knob to the right , Gives more  "

Almost always works , check it out at home

Looks nice colin , can't afford to jump in now ,
so hope it becomes a stocking item ,
otherwise one would need to put down a deposit

best of the new year to you

okgb said:
" Turning Knob to the right , Gives more  "

Almost always works , check it out at home

Looks nice colin , can't afford to jump in now ,
so hope it becomes a stocking item ,
otherwise one would need to put down a deposit

best of the new year to you
He has one knob at the top right? Is that a high shelf, and if so at what frequency?

Also the bottom left knob, is that a high pass filter?

Is the switch on top of it to turn it into low pass filter?

I'll have a go - these are GUESSES, based on the fact this is a "1073":

canidoit said:
He has one knob at the top right? Is that a high shelf, and if so at what frequency?

yes. 12k

canidoit said:
Also the bottom left knob, is that a high pass filter?

yes.

canidoit said:
Is the switch on top of it to turn it into low pass filter?

No. i'd say that's a polarity switch - or "phase" switch...

Back