Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haima said:
I'll have a go - these are GUESSES, based on the fact this is a "1073":

canidoit said:
He has one knob at the top right? Is that a high shelf, and if so at what frequency?

yes. 12k

canidoit said:
Also the bottom left knob, is that a high pass filter?

yes.

canidoit said:
Is the switch on top of it to turn it into low pass filter?

No. i'd say that's a polarity switch - or "phase" switch...
Thanks haima, yeah cause my EQN which I think is meant to be the EQ section of the 1073 has more than 1 frequency for the high shelf and the mid has switchable q's.

DAN_000 said:
I saw you are using simple regulators for 24v supply,  then, your virtual ground is ?   Are you using 1 regulator for +16 and another for -16 ?
Can you post a schemo on how you manage this ? ... You will sell this like kits ? pcbs only ?  let me know!

On the ez1073-500 the virtual ground is at -16v... just a single 8v regulator on the +16v... the Schematic will be in the colourbook..... Gustav will do the PCB's, Grand Master will do the faceplates... AML will do a "partial kit" of the difficult parts.....

"Haima" seems to have answered the EQ questions already..... but just to re-confirm.... the HF is at 12k, the Bottom left is the HPF, the switch above it is phase..... It is clearer on the "real" metalwork as it has the EQ symbols/legends printed on it (they were missing off the lash-up by mistake)....

The second revision of the ez1073-500 should be here today... it is easier to build as the op-amp sub cards are now part of the main card.... the "real" faceplate should be done shortly so you will be able to see what they actually look like... grey with white text.

Still waiting for the mains transformer for the ez1073 so it is on hold at the moment (the custom core for the transformer arrived but was 160mm diameter instead of 60mm).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
On the ez1073-500 the virtual ground is at -16v... just a single 8v regulator on the +16v... the Schematic will be in the colourbook..... Gustav will do the PCB's, Grand Master will do the faceplates... AML will do a "partial kit" of the difficult parts.....

"Haima" seems to have answered the EQ questions already..... but just to re-confirm.... the HF is at 12k, the Bottom left is the HPF, the switch above it is phase..... It is clearer on the "real" metalwork as it has the EQ symbols/legends printed on it (they were missing off the lash-up by mistake)....

The second revision of the ez1073-500 should be here today... it is easier to build as the op-amp sub cards are now part of the main card.... the "real" faceplate should be done shortly so you will be able to see what they actually look like... grey with white text.

Still waiting for the mains transformer for the ez1073 so it is on hold at the moment (the custom core for the transformer arrived but was 160mm diameter instead of 60mm).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I'm disappointed the rack mount isn't quite ready yet but this way I'll be able to get enough cash together for 2!  In the end it's a good thing.  I'm really anxious to get started either way.

Im anxiously waiting the EZ1073 and kinda glad it got delayed as i will be able to save for 2 also lol. Colin thanks again for doing this.

Will your PCB set allow me to add the 1073 EQ to my EZ1290 or does it already have the 1290 preamp section built into the PCB?

DAN_000 said:
51X fingers ?

Read back a bit - this has already been discussed a few times... From what I understand, as the unit is transformer isolated on the in and out Colin is just combining the bipolar 16v rails to form one one 32v rail, and then linear regulating that down to 24v. No need for the 51X pins in this case. You can use these in a 51X rack though - no problems!

haima said:
DAN_000 said:
51X fingers ?

Read back a bit - this has already been discussed a few times... From what I understand, as the unit is transformer isolated on the in and out Colin is just combining the bipolar 16v rails to form one one 32v rail, and then linear regulating that down to 24v. No need for the 51X pins in this case. You can use these in a 51X rack though - no problems!

That is cool! But I wouldn't think you want to connect your -16/"0V ref" directly to chassis/pin-1 would you? Cap to chassis would return AC but what about DC returns?

Best,
j

Thanks haima, yes, I know. But I would like to use this 24v rails instead of converting from +-16v. If I have 24v in rack, why not to use this ?  +-16 rails will be happy and with more free power  8)  onboard regulator is consuming 25% of power, anyway is a lot better way than DC-DC converter.

BTW, if its not too late, I think 51x fingers will be a good option, and if you dont need this fingers, just break this!

How much current handle 1073 ?

Thanks

0dbfs said:
That is cool! But I wouldn't think you want to connect your -16/"0V ref" directly to chassis/pin-1 would you? Cap to chassis would return AC but what about DC returns?

Between the input secondary and output primary there is no need for any reference to the chassis/pin1....

transformer_isolation.jpg

It could probably even be ac as long as it wasn't in the audio band.....

On a dual slot wide module there is no real need to use the 51x extension as you have 260mA available and the module only needs 90mA.... and the number of standard lunchboxes far exceeds the number of 51x type racks....

The design went off to Gustav yesterday for the 1073-500 anyway so it is already done.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Chaps,

Colin has asked me to manufacture the front panels for this project. Pictured here is a prototype panel I made for Colin (winging its way to you now Colin).

But this is not how the panels are being made, if we can get the numbers, 50+, I will machine them and send them off to be powder coated and silk-screened. Powder coat will be the Neve Dark RAF sea grey, silk-screen will of course be white. will look super lovely!

It would be good to get an initial feel as to how many, as 50 is a minimum run, but if more are needed ill get more done in the initial batch. Price for the panel are £25ea + posty and packing yet to be worked out, but they are light so very cheap to ship.

sound cool?

Best
Pete
ez10845001.jpg

Back