Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pietro_moog said:
- i need to fix the input trafo to the board. how do you do that....
- i've seen the rotary switches are a few mms from the border. so they are not designed to sustain the pcb........

The input transformer fitting procedure is in the colourbook:
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez1073_colourbook.pdf

The rotary switches are not intended to support a PCB.... the PCB should be supported by standoffs on the base of the metal box.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Finished the build on both units. I have the 51X rack, no bench power supply. So I plan to insert into the 51X where I can still get my hand in to adjust Output Bias Adjust.

1. Using my multi-meter, can someone tell me how I measure the current per rail as mentioned?

2. Is there a way to use my Digital Audio workstation to calibrate?

3. Also, what is the name of the tool used to tighten the front panel "bolts" that hold the face plate on? Never had one, and wouldn't even know what to ask for.

They will work without adjustment..... it  will basically just effect the maximum signal level before distortion.

1] If you do not have a bench power supply it is probably easier to measure the voltage accross the ends of resistor R49.... because it is 1 Ohm, you will read about 70mV before you adjust.... make the bias adjustment (typically about 6-7 turns counterclockwise) until you read 110mV.

2] Don't know the answer to that....

3] We call them "ring nut tools".... there may be an "official" name.... most people just use long nose pliers or shape a piece of metal into a suitable tool.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

hi everyone.
i'm placing an order at mouser's and i need to find some parts.

- i need pcb switches
- input trafos pin connectors
- in&out terminals, preferably the ones where you fix the cable with a screw.

do you have suggestions?

Have a hunt is the best suggestion I'm afraid.  Order codes are provided for almost everything on the BOM, though the supplier may not be your first choice.

If you're in Italy, perhaps Farnell is a better (cheaper) option than Mouser anyway?

Hi Pietro

I've been delivered from Farnell and didn't need to give them a VAT number.
I'm in France.
The only problem I've been facing is the minimum qty they require.
50 pieces for resistors and so on

Hi,

just received the last components I needed. So I'm starting to built my ez1073 kit. Thx again Colin, nice kit and pcb.

I just wanted to ask two things I was thinking about while waiting my different orders :

-What is the meaning of R89 aka 1k to ground when line switch engaged ? 'cause I didn't find it on the original 1073-84 scheme I got.
http://imageshack.us/f/706/50231556.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/684/originalschem.jpg/

-Why choosing a 10k linear for the output fader instead of a 5k log like on the original ( even if  R135 // (R149+134) matches with the 5k original impedance). Is it because 10k L are more convenient to find than 5k audio taper ?
http://imageshack.us/f/707/fader.jpg/
Anyway thx again to provide this nice kit.

ps:  do you always need to enter anti spam verification thing when you post a msg or if your old enough on the board it stops ?

Attachments

• 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi Colin

Just a pic of first steps

Thank you again

Domi

Attachments

• 1073.jpeg
    1073.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 225
Well done DOMI62 ...... I think we should see a few more completed units in the very near future .....

The colourbook has been updated as there was an error relating to the voltage regulators (locations were swapped over), the output transformer fitting drawing showed spacers which were too tall for some boxes, and the part numbers for the TO220 heatsinks were wrong.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez1073_colourbook.pdf

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

The color-book shows how to hook up the power transformer to the board but no datasheet or schematic on the power transfomer hook up to mains(USA).  Unless I am missing something.  Thanks again Colin, almost done!  ChrisP

Good point, I'd better add that.

The power transformer has 2 primary windings....

For 100-120v supply the windings are connected in parallel.

For 200-240v supply the windings are connected in series.

You should fuse the live before the mains switch (if you fit one), mains switches should be double pole (switch live and neutral) and the mains earth should go immediately to the chassis and be screwed to it using star washers to ensure good contact that does not come loose.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi, Colin.  Are there any fees we should know about when shipping to the U.S.A.?  There was a thread in the brewery about US Taxes.    I'm interested in the 500-series kit but am waiting on Steiger to have racks in stock. 

I always say to people that they should budget for 10% import duties/handling charges... but no-one ever tells me what they were actually charged.

The ez1073-500 kits will probably cease next week as the assembled units will become available shortly through a network of dealers (and they will not want "kits" available).... 1U rack kits will remain available for the time being.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

yikes, I better order the 500 series version this week, then.

If there are any forum members who have bought the kit for the 500 series module and also live in the US, could you send me a PM with the import fees?

ordered 2 of the ez1073-500 kits tonight!  Hopefully just in time before you stop selling them as kits!

as a side question, have you considered offering kits to forum members only once you stop selling them on your website?

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

All done,  sounds great!  Will be putting it through its paces this week.  Thanks again, Colin, for the millionth time.  ChrisP

Nice!

Mine's coming along too.  I'm just trying to  decide whether or not to go to the trouble of mounting the grayhills off board so all the pots are in a straight single line...

Latest posts

Back