Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, that looks awesome!  How long did it take to arrive once shipped, and were there extra fees to import it or anything?  Pretty sweet lookin 500-series rack in the background btw!!

Very nice build ChrisP! Does the rackmount kit include everything you need for a build? What about the case? Where did you find that? Did it involve metal work on your end?

Thanks for sharing.

rob_gould said:
Nice!

Mine's coming along too.  I'm just trying to  decide whether or not to go to the trouble of mounting the grayhills off board so all the pots are in a straight single line...
It actually doesn't look that bad staggered.  It was a concern of mine too, but thats alot of wiring and I try to avoid wiring when ever possible.  I didn't want to make a ez1073 into a hard1073. ;D  ChrisP
mulletchuck said:
Chris, that looks awesome!  How long did it take to arrive once shipped, and were there extra fees to import it or anything?  Pretty sweet lookin 500-series rack in the background btw!!
Thanks.  Colins stuff always gets to California in a timely manner, usually no longer than 2 weeks and sometimes faster than domestic distributers.  My credit card statement didn't show any fees just the exchange rate(ouch!).

chrispsound said:
rob_gould said:
Nice!

Mine's coming along too.  I'm just trying to  decide whether or not to go to the trouble of mounting the grayhills off board so all the pots are in a straight single line...
It actually doesn't look that bad staggered.  It was a concern of mine too, but thats alot of wiring and I try to avoid wiring when ever possible.  I didn't want to make a ez1073 into a hard1073. ;D or anything?  Pretty sweet lookin 500-series rack in the background btw!!

Heh.  Yes - good point well put ;D

rob61 said:
Very nice build ChrisP! Does the rackmount kit include everything you need for a build? What about the case? Where did you find that? Did it involve metal work on your end?

Thanks for sharing.
No, but AML has all the electrolytic capacitors.  Mouser and my stock for everything else.  Dan at Collective cases has the 1U case, it has a little more internal height, no front lip and rear panel all punched and ready to go.  I used a Parmetal 1u case but it required some modification/ nibbling to the bottom  front lip to fit the greyhill switches and LED and requires spacers on the top cover so it doesn't smash the output transformer.  Rear panel XLR punched out and IEC connector nibbled by me.  PCB standoff holes need to be drilled.  Front panel is Colin's in black/no infill made by FPE.  Thanks ChrisP

mulletchuck said:
My credit card statement didn't show any fees just the exchange rate(ouch!).

I was referring more to any tarrifs imposed by FedEx or UPS due to international shipping per that US Tax thread in the brewery
Shipping & Handling was 25 bpounds/ $40.00 us for the ez1073 kit, but the invoice from AML didn't specify if any fee's or tarrifs where part of the $40 shipping and handling charge.  No other fees or tarrifs are on the invoice or my credit card statement.  Colin's shipping prices seem reasonable for the size and weight of the package.  Hope this helps.  ChrisP

rob61 said:
Does the rackmount kit include everything you need for a build? What about the case? Where did you find that?

Originally the kits were just the major parts, but now the "Full PCB Kit" contains all the parts which go on the PCB and the XLRs .... the metalwork, knobs, IEC, fuse holder, mains switch etc are not included.

I believe that both the "Dans" will be doing cases.

In respect of import duties and tariffs, it has always been a mystery to me.... it seems like an entirely random process.... don't be surprised if you receive an invoice from the courier for import processing which can arrive weeks after the shipment..... but similarly you may never get anything.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

WOW

I ordered 2 kits of the 1073-500 from colin in the UK on saturday evening.

They arrived TODAY, tuesday, in NYC. 

that is AWESOME!!!! I thought this was gonna take like 2 weeks because of Customs!  Thanks, Slenderchap!!  Can't wait to buy a proper soldering iron, and get the racks from JSteiger, and get started!!

ez1073-500 kits are now no longer available.

The build manual for the ez1073 (1U version) has been updated today to show the mains transformer wiring (page 41);
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez1073_colourbook.pdf

Mzaar - Nice to see an alternative version.... it would be possible to modify the voltage regulator circuit to increase the output ... but I doubt it is worth it.... you will probably easily exceed +24dBu output with 23.89 volts... probably >25.5dBu....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Colin:

My two kits that just came were short 2 of the SIL header 10 way pin headers  (bag says "Connector SIL Header 10 Way quantity 4"  (for two kits) but the bag only contained 2)

I've checked all my local places and no one has them. I can go online with DigiKey (they offer cheaper shipping than Mousser) to order a couple more.

Could you please point me to the right DigiKey page / product number so I know I'm getting the right ones?

Thanks for making this kit available, and very sad to see the kit pulled. But I understand. I'm sure the built one will be a big seller.

3nity said:
Im interested in 1-2 1073 clones whats shipping for 1 pcb with kit..to montreal?

The store will work that out for you.... it is automatic.

rob61 said:
My two kits that just came were short 2 of the SIL header 10 way pin headers .........

The closest that I can find is S1121E-36-ND... they are 36 way so you would only need 1 of them....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

rob61, you may find it useful to hear that I got my headers very cheaply from a well knownauction website.  Just get right angle headers with 0.1" / 2.54mm pitch and they ought to be fine.

Getting my 51x racks tomorrow!!!!    Colin, the kits look amazing, you really did make it easy. 

YOU EVEN TRIMMED THE RESISTORS ALREADY!!!    EEEE-ZZZZZZ!!!!! 

Can't wait to start building them!

hey!
I´ve just purchased this great kit (thanks  a lot colin for doing this!!!!) and recognized that there are no polysterene or tantal caps like neve uses.
doesn´t this make a difference soundwise? did anybody try to swap the wimas to polysterene and tantals? I´d like it to be as original as it gets but I´m a newbie so please enlighten me!  ;D Is it worth the trouble or doesnt it matter after all.....

cheers

mrcase said:
I´ve just purchased this great kit (thanks  a lot colin for doing this!!!!) and recognized that there are no polysterene or tantal caps like neve uses.
doesn´t this make a difference soundwise? did anybody try to swap the wimas to polysterene and tantals? I´d like it to be as original as it gets but I´m a newbie so please enlighten me!  ;D Is it worth the trouble or doesnt it matter after all.....
cheers

-why you didn't mark the tantalum caps? (i think all the 10uF and all the 22uF except two of them are tantalum)

We don't use Tants.... (we use electrolytics which we have specially manufactured)..... you can fit anything you wish... it is your project.

Colin
Its a colorful preamp , not a millenia-like preamp, so maybe you'll like it this way or with tant/poly film/styroflex. It's not so much effort to switch the caps. Give it a try.

Latest posts

Back