Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Math5461 said:
I just got done with my ez1073 and it sounds amazing!

I am reading 59.9VDC for phantom power with 16.2mA DC. This seems weird. Did I mess something up or do I just not understand something about the load?

It depends where you are measuring it..... you should get 48v between pin 1 and pin 2 or 3 of the XLR when there is nothing else plugged in (and the 48v switch is in the down position).

Before the 48v regulator you will have about 60 volts.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Well, sounds like I messed up then. I am measuring Voltage at the output pin 2 and 3. Seems like I must be bypassing the regulator in the circuit? 

Well, this gives me good info to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

-Josh 

OK, I reworked the 48v section making sure the path was clean. Well, as clean as possible given how I messed up and put the 24v regulator in the 48v slot at first. I realized right away but getting the regulator out was hard. Anyway, all good now. Gave it the first studio test run Sunday. Real clean up to 70dB! I am trying something different for my faceplate labels. I plan on posting a pic when done. Thanks for the help!   

pacemaker said:
do you sell some EZ1073 wiihtout transformers ?

Sorry they are just "full" kits......while stocks last.... when they are gone we will stop them.

Math5461 said:
Anyway, all good now. Gave it the first studio test run Sunday. Real clean up to 70dB!   

Excellent... glad you got it sorted.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Just tried mine...again!

First try, blew two caps in the 48V Rect...caps were only rated at 23V!  ::)
Problem Rectified!  ;D

Sounds awesome! Everything works as it should.

Thanks so much for this project!

Neil

hey colin!

finally got my case and got my 1073 up and running. but I have some weird problems.
the line in is not really working, the signal sounds very thin and low.
with the mic input I get a loud 50hz hum. my grounding is as follows:
IEC + tranny ground + mains ground at chassis stud. all xlr pin1 are connected to the pcb, pcb is connected to the case with metal standoffs...
what could I try to get rid of that hum?

thanks a lot!

hey mrcase, it's better if you connect one xlr pin 1 to the star ground point, rather than grounding the pcb via metal standoffs.

thanks! I´ve sorted out the hum issue, was a cold solderjoint, but I´m still having problems with the line input.
I´ve been running synths and a bass guitar through it, the synths sounded very thin, no bass and very low signal. the electric bass sound ok, but the level was very low as well. Do I have an impedance problem there? I thought I would be able to feed any line level signals into the 1073 and also instruments???

thanks for your help
cheers
m

I had issues with plugging a bass/synth into the line input.  So, when i talked to colin, he suggested I get a CD player and use that as the input, because those actually spit out Line Level signals.    It worked fine, 100%.  So, the issue is that your instruments don't spit out Line Level signal.  You'll need a DI box if you wish to use the line Inputs with something other than a line-level device.

pietro_moog said:
do you still have 1U pcbs?

There are still a few kits left.

mrcase said:
.....ah, I thought that second input transformer would take care of that.... :-X

For a guitar you would need a DI input... something which a 1073 never had. The line input has a 10k impedance... you will not get a good guitar signal through that... you need 100k plus... electronic DI inputs are usually 1M or more..... some synths will work fine.

okgb said:
Almost full circle on another year !

Indeed time flies..... sorry but there is no new project for the forum this Christmas as I have been busy with a commercial project (500 series module) which will be launched sometime next week (hopefully).... maybe Christmas Eve ?

I'll try to do another "ez" project for the forum next year... ezGSSL, ez1176, ezS800, ezNite, ez1081... something like that... don't know yet.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Saving Colin some breath, sure he's getting tired of saying the same thing over and over.

pietro_moog said:
so Colin, is it still possible to have a couple of 1U pcbs?

Slenderchap said:
pacemaker said:
do you sell some EZ1073 wiihtout transformers ?

Sorry they are just "full" kits......while stocks last.... when they are gone we will stop them.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back