Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool. i didn't pay attention enough, i'm sorry.

@ Colin: i wish you reconsider about not making 1073  1U  anymore. these are really really cool and really well made.
i wish i bought a few of them.
you could sell 500s units built in the house and make a batch of 1U pcbs sometimes. small number maybe, higher price.
these are worth.

thanks for all the work you gave us Colin, very Thanks

Second the 'super easy built'.
I am a bit late, but ordered my Kit two weeks ago on thursday. Kit arrived on Monday (4days later) and it took me two evenings to stuff and solder the board completely - no issues at all !!!

!!! Well done Colin - this thingy really is an 'EZ' built  8) !!!

This is how it looks so far:
normal_ez1073_board_web.jpg

...now this thing needs a nice housing...

Hi all,

Bit of a noob question. I'd like to have the power switch on the front of the unit. Is this a bad idea in terms of introducing noise to the unit? Or is it simply a matter of running the cables down the right side of the case, off the board?

Any guidance greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Rob

robertbonello said:
I'd like to have the power switch on the front of the unit. Is this a bad idea in terms of introducing noise to the unit? Or is it simply a matter of running the cables down the right side of the case, off the board?

I see no problem with that.... right hand side would fine...... left hand side would be dubious as it would run past the mic transformer.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Ok I am about to pull the trigger on this preamp but I just wanted to make sure I can get everything.

As I understand it everything is included with the kit except for the knobs, IEC, fuse holder, mains switch and metal work.

I can get the metalwork (rack and face plate) from dan's shop (DDT).  Does it say in the colorbook what exact knobs and IEC fuse holder and switch to get.  I haven't read the colorbook yet.  Will do after I type this.  Getting pretty excited about having a neve replica in my project studio.  Can't wait.

Thanks for all the info you guys rock.

saxmonster said:
...Does it say in the colorbook what exact knobs and IEC fuse holder and switch to get...

The cases will have holes for one of those standard plastic non-EMI filtered IEC sockets with an integrated fuse holder, you'll be able to use knobs of up to 24mm in diameter.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Guys,
Just wanted some thoughts.  Since I will be recording myself by myself, hahahaha  If I record my sax into Digital performer with the eq bypassed would I be able to send it back out into the preamp with everything down except the eq and eq it to taste using my speakers and rerecord the processed sound back into Digital performer.  I just don't want to record myself having a great take but not like the eq settings cause it was done through the headphones.  If i do this I wont be able to change it.  Headphones sound different from HR824's. 

Also does this kit come with spacers to keep the pcb off the case?  If not I didn't see what size i need.

Thanks
-Scott

I've got one of the 500 series models in the rack this week and put it up against our neves and some BAEs. It's nearly indistinguishable from the vintage Neves, and at least as close to them as they are to each other. Way to knock this one out of the park Colin! I can't wait to hear your comp.

saxmonster said:
.....Since I will be recording myself by myself, hahahaha  If I record my sax into Digital performer ....

Also does this kit come with spacers to keep the pcb off the case?  If not I didn't see what size i need.

You have a seperate mic and line input so that seems perfectly feasable to me... you are doing 2 seperate operations.... first through the mic input, second through the line input...

There are no PCB to Chassis standoffs included.... you need metal standoffs.... 4mm long should be about right..... but it really depends on the style of case you are using...

Marcocet said:
I've got one of the 500 series models in the rack this week and put it up against our neves and some BAEs. It's nearly indistinguishable from the vintage Neves, and at least as close to them as they are to each other.

Super Cool ... comparisons do not come much better than that !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

DDT,

Will this IEC socket fit in your case?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Iec+with+fuse&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1269&bih=672&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=yZwN-_zh_3nG_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ACS-55/IEC-RECEPTACLE-W/FUSE-HOLDER/1.html&docid=wdTnMrtIiBEUvM&imgurl=http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/cache/image/2/5/7/9/9593.Jpg&w=450&h=441&ei=IPIMT4qMCMra0QHuqPDwBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1003&vpy=187&dur=102&hovh=222&hovw=227&tx=146&ty=96&sig=110559413441116649315&page=12&tbnh=143&tbnw=153&start=202&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:202

I know i need a 100mA anti-surge fuse but what size in mm would I need to fit in this IEC socket fuse holder?

Will 4mm stand offs work with this board and your case DDT?

I wanna try to get everything before the kit
\ gets here so i can just build.

Thanks again guys, this community rocks.

-Scott

What size shafts are these so I can order knobs.  I know i need 23 or 24 diameters but what about the shaft size? Thanks

Hi Scott,

saxmonster said:
DDT,

Will this IEC socket fit in your case?
Yep, that's the sort of thing you're after.

saxmonster said:
I know i need a 100mA anti-surge fuse but what size in mm would I need to fit in this IEC socket fuse holder?
Just measured one for you, it's 20mm long, 5mm in diameter.

saxmonster said:
Will 4mm stand offs work with this board and your case DDT?
I've used 5mm standoffs with the prototype case, these worked well.

chefducuisine... I've made the markings a bit larger than the design in the Colourbook, so you should be fine with knobs of up to 24mm in diameter.

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks for all the answers guys, just one more quick question why is the fuse load so small/low?  100ma is equal to .1amps right?  Not even a half an amp.  That means barely anything is in the fuse.  I can't find them at radio shack so I will order from digikey. 

Latest posts

Back