Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been asked a few times now about the ring nuts which fit the DDT cases....

They are made by Elma... but you can buy them from Farnell:
http://uk.farnell.com/elma/046-4000/nut-3-8/dp/1209855?Ntt=046-4000

You can get them through newark.com in the USA as well;
http://www.newark.com/elma/046-4000/nut-3-8/dp/01M9696

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something.  I am recording my sax through the Ez1073 rack version and I am using a JJ audio modded Apex 460.  It is a tube mic with a 9 pattern selector and was modded into a Elam 251 circuit.  When I record I like to record using a close mic setup.  But with a little more aim at the middle section of the horn so I just don't get the sound directly from the bell of the sax. 

My questions are

When I am recording should I have the Trim knob all the way up to get the sound of both transformers?

If I have the trim knob halfway up at 0 is the sound still running through the trim transformer?  Would turning the knob all the way to the left shut the trim transformer off?

I am asking this because when I record in this close mic setup I barely have to turn the mic gain up.  I usually just leave it on the 2nd click which says +25 with the trim knob all the way up.  Just seems that this preamp is really hot and that I am not using the preamp to its fullest capabilities.  Not really pushing it because the knob is so low.  Even before the mic was modded and with other mics like my Akg 414 it seems like the preamp is very hot with the gain.  I would figure maybe 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way would get the full sound of the transformers. 

Obviously I can back away from the mic and turn the gain up a click or so but I don't like that sound as my rooms are not treated.  I want to record with the least amount of room sound so I can add my own reverb and what not latter in the DAW.

Maybe everything is right and I am just thinking about this too much,  I am new to the tech side of recording and just trying to find what is the right and proper way to do things.  Maybe there is no right way and just go by what sounds best.

Thanks
-Scott

Hopefully someone else chimes in, but your going to get the "sound" from both transformers just by running audio through them. But if you really want to overdrive them...do it. Or you could pad your mic...

But really, one thing that will probably really make everything sound better, is getting an office partition or something to treat at least one side of your recording space. Otherwise its not just a matter of the want to add your reverb later, but the weird totally screwy frequency response you get from comb filtering and room resonances that you get from an untreated room. Sometime you can get them to work for your favor, especially in larger rooms (the resonances are lower on the frequency spectrum) But for a mid to small recording space...

Probably more of a response than you asked for ;)! Happy recording :)

Thanks Abe,
Now since this Ez1073 doesn't have a pad I will have to check my DAW.  But since I am using a Tube mic with its own PS and pattern selector.  If I turn the pre-amp gain up quit a bit and still play at the same volume  and I hear distortion its not coming from my mic.  I am not damaging my mic, right? its just that the pre-amp is taking that same signal from the mic and really pushing it and in essence  amplifying it into the DAW a lot.  Now if the DAW has its pad on and its not clipping its just the distorted sound of the pre-amp then right?

Thanks
-Scott

Are the single Rack versions ever going to be offered as a DIY project anymore?  Please say YES, I need two more.  I love these things. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Brotastic said:
Are the single Rack versions ever going to be offered as a DIY project anymore?  Please say YES, I need two more.  I love these things. :'( :'( :'( :'(

It basically depends on demand.... email me and I will add you to the list.... if the list gets big enough we'll do another limited run.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

slenderchap said:
It basically depends on demand.... email me and I will add you to the list.... if the list gets big enough we'll do another limited run.
my ez1073 is lush but feels alone ....so interested in 2 more full sets or 2 partial sets (pcbs+psu/input trannies+inductors+pots....got some marinair output trannies waiting for that project, depending on what kind of kit you would be willing to sell)

Mzaar said:
slenderchap said:
my ez1073 is lush but feels alone ....so interested in 2 more full sets or 2 partial sets (pcbs+psu/input trannies+inductors+pots....got some marinair output trannies waiting for that project, depending on what kind of kit you would be willing to sell)

I'll arrange to do a limited run of "full" kits as we did before..... Once I have sorted it out, I'll get it back on in the store, but there will probably be a lead time of about 6 weeks.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Im soon ready populating my 4 EZ1073 PCBs...
Just have some questions i be happy if someone could help me answer them.
I had some problems with cold solder joints on the bigger capacitators and on the trimmers solder joints.
The solder joints for these parts on the PCB are quit small and Im not sure if its my solder point being to wide. Tried a smaller tip but didnt get much better.
Anybody else had the same problems? Or anybody have some helping ideas?

Also...Are people using cooling paste between the heatsinks and regulators?

Slenderchap said:
Mzaar said:
slenderchap said:

I'll arrange to do a limited run of "full" kits as we did before..... Once I have sorted it out, I'll get it back on in the store, but there will probably be a lead time of about 6 weeks.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com
Hopefully I'll have the funds to grab a pair this time.

Thanks for youre answer:)
I solder around 350 degree Celsius = 662 degree Fahrenheit.
Is it very unsafe to go further upp. Im afraid to damage some components if I do so...

mulletchuck said:
What temp are you runniing your iron at?  I never had problems as long as I kept my iron around 720F

Back