Feeler: an "Eee-Zzz" christmas present...ez1073 and ez1073-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are generally hum free..... not sure where the problem lies with your unit. The only one I can think of which had hum issues had the XLRs wired in a strange way.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

After thorougly checking solderjoints and wiring I tested the EZ1073 in studio today, strange, hum was not an issue here.
Maybe something to do with my home testing "environment", a mbox and a fridge on the same mains circuit.
It is still there on mid freqs, but so low it sits below the noisefloor. Compared it to a Amek CIB on some voiceover work, with a U87,  to my ears it sounds better.

Good question. I have a sixt sense that picks up hum, even if its coming from the other studio down the street ;)
No, maybe the term "noise floor" was used a bit unscientific...pre works fine!

Cheers

Hi collin just to tell you that your kit is awesome ,quick deliver  etc...Just brilliant!
I started to solder yestreday and it went very easy to populate the board it's nearly done but on some pads (specially for some electrlitycs an trim pots)it's impossible to stick the solder on the pads!
I hope i didn't break those pads with the heat!
Do you have any tricks to fix this???
Thanks
Christophe

I don't think it is a heat issue because ther's nothing on the pad to solder things together then the pins of capacitor or the trim pot move along the hole i hope i don't destroied the pads by the way it's funny because all the bad pads are on the - pins so maybe i can't solder them P2P and then solder them to the ground???
Thanks anyway for the advice

I don't know this PCB, but if you have issues with Ground connections: there might be a ground plane but no "termal pads"?
Heat the soldering iron up. the ground plane is eating the heat, making the tip too cold for the solder ...

Damnit, i have been using mine for a long time but only through the Mic stage as i was not able to mix with it until recently. The Line input sounds thin and has a very low output. I've come to the conclusion that nothing beneath ~250hz gets in/out. I've desoldered the transformer to doublecheck that i didnt have it in backwards and i didnt...

Any ideas?

Slenderchap said:
Check that the transformer is actually getting both the hot and cold input signals...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

The inserts on the console are unbalanced, i soldered a bridge between the hot and cold on line in just now but now it's even lesser volume :(

I believe you're supposed to solder a bridge between Cold and GND, not Hot and Cold lol.  that's how TS cables are wired.  the Ring and the Sleeve are electrically connected, unlike with a TRS cable.

mulletchuck said:
I believe you're supposed to solder a bridge between Cold and GND, not Hot and Cold lol.  that's how TS cables are wired.  the Ring and the Sleeve are electrically connected, unlike with a TRS cable.

Yeah that deffinatley made a difference volume wise...but the sound is very thin sounding. The EQ makes some difference in the low frequencies but not alot and the sound coming in is not the same as coming out. High freq's are working properly though.

That thing should sound fatter than a redneck at a country buffet. 
If the sound is thin with the EQ disengaged, start tracing the circuit from the input backwards.  See how big of a difference you have after the input tx.  From my exp. its rare to get a bad input tx, but it does happen.  (never seen a bad carnhill personally).  If your tranny is good, keep tracing back. 

As a test have you tried the line input? If so, same issue?

Yeah it's with the EQ disengaged aswell as in, i tried the mic input by using a re-amp box which also turns the line signal into mic impedance and i noticed the same thing there. So i dont think it's the TX as it's on both of them. Any guide measurements?

OK so your comment on the line in confused me. 
Youre normally using the LINE input, you have the issue; and you used the re-amp box to plug a line signal into the mic input (just trying to clarify for my own understanding)  If thats correct, break out the probe and scope and start tracing.  If you think its dropping everything below 250, put a 100hz signal through and trace to see where the signal goes bad or gets drastically lower on the scope, then reference the schematic in that area.  Colin did a great job of "departmentalizing" the different areas of this circuit in the color book.

Just out of curiosity, does the polarity switch seem to make any difference if switched? (and does it do what its supposed to?)

sr1200 said:
OK so your comment on the line in confused me. 
Youre normally using the LINE input, you have the issue; and you used the re-amp box to plug a line signal into the mic input (just trying to clarify for my own understanding)  If thats correct, break out the probe and scope and start tracing.  If you think its dropping everything below 250, put a 100hz signal through and trace to see where the signal goes bad or gets drastically lower on the scope, then reference the schematic in that area.  Colin did a great job of "departmentalizing" the different areas of this circuit in the color book.

Just out of curiosity, does the polarity switch seem to make any difference if switched? (and does it do what its supposed to?)

Correct, i just moved the studio home so i'm gonna use it more for mixing instead of recording as i did in the old studio. Unfortunatley i dont have a scope, i might be able to borrow one though. Yes the polarity makes a difference, but only in level (as far as i can tell), when switched in it increases a bit in level, estimatley 2-3db.

Back