Green Pre gain switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

Hey All,
I'm building some green pre's right now, my friend Mesmer gave me a few of his boards :thumb:
A couple of questions here, a couple to make the assembly easier and help me understand whats happenning in the circuit.

On the gain switch the schematic shows a connection at pointH to the wiper, Is this correct?

which way do the LEDs go in the meter - cathodes on the 10k pot side or the other way around.

lastly,c3, the 1nf, I thought I had that and didn't order those. What is the range of values that will work here ?

and while we're on that point of the circuit, what are those zener diodes doing? and why are they 20v instead of 15v as on the schemeatic.

Thanks
Sleeper

If this is the V14 PCb then :

On the gain switch the schematic shows a connection at pointH to the wiper

That is the wiper its self, not any connection.

which way do the LEDs go in the meter - cathodes on the 10k pot side or the other way around.

The anode goes toward the pot, flat side away from the pot.

,c3, the 1nf, I thought I had that and didn't order those. What is the range of values that will work here

Anything larger will damp the frequency response, but I am not sure to what extent. The pre is flat to 250k + so you could try a 2n2. Anything smaller than 1n might make the input stage unstable.

what are those zener diodes doing? and why are they 20v instead of 15v as on the schemeatic.

They help protect the input stage from input spikes such as Phantom on/off & unplugging mikes with Phantom on. You know that loud thump? :shock:

I've used both 15v & 20v in this position.

Regards
Peter

Thanks Peter :thumb:
:guinness:

I'm psyched to finish em.
Those are nice little boards. I like that you designed all(or nearly all) of the electrolytics facing in the same direction... I really think that was a big help in making for a mistake free assembly... also noticed that using the different colored 10ks was a great idea on the setup docs, those 2 elements alone knocked off a good amount of the stuffing time. those early stages of the stuff can be pretty confusing when you don't have many reference points.

Thanks Again,
Sleeper

Back