Finished my (Unique??) GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ej_whyte

Hey,

So big thanks to PtownKid, Harpo & Tom Waterman. I feel it went pretty well for my first build (well, except for a sub-kick), only had a couple of little problems to fix. Im just waiting for a 2180 for my turbo board and then I'll wire that in too, but for now its just a standard GSSL inside. Has anyone used the perspex option from Schaeffer before? I haven't seen it anywhere, but if so, post a link if you have it.

I just added a couple of white LEDs inside to illuminate it better, why not make the most of the perspex eh?

Anyway, say no more, PICS!  :D

P1000536.jpg

P1000539.jpg

P1000538.jpg

P1000535.jpg

P1000534.jpg

P1000533.jpg

P1000532.jpg

P1000531.jpg

P1000530.jpg

P1000529.jpg

Looks Great !

but if there was ever a time to be
neat & impeccable in your wiring ...........
think Hiwatt tube amp  , a few more
zap ties and 90 degree angles , 100 %

okgb said:
but if there was ever a time to be
neat & impeccable in your wiring ...........
think Hiwatt tube amp  , a few more
zap ties and 90 degree angles , 100 %

Yeh I know ::) I'll do a bit when I put the turbo in I guess, don't get me started on cleaning all of the finger marks off the front panel though!

Cheers everyone,
-Elliott

cool :)

whats the part/order codes for sides and top... grandmasteraudio posted long time ago, i cant find his post,

Perfect timing , i just think to make my front panel with acrylic. Do you have any issue with that non conductive material? Is that strong enough when you put it on the rack?

kambo said:
whats the part/order codes for sides and top... grandmasteraudio posted long time ago, i cant find his post,

I would be interested in the side and top/bottom-parts too,especially in the side-profiles.Have been looking for that for a while but never found any higher than 1RU.

Best,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
kambo said:

I would be interested in the side and top/bottom-parts too,especially in the side-profiles.Have been looking for that for a while but never found any higher than 1RU.

Best,

Udo.

I'm not sure if you can buy the sides/back/top&bottom on their own without a front panel; i just got a complete Schroff Case from farnell http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1816034 and then ordered my front panel from Schaeffer.

Interesting note though: If you use the Schroff template in front panel designer, check the holes to attach it to the rest of the case are the right distance apart. When I used it, the holes were 55m apart, however the Schroff case actually needed holes 53mm, though they may have fixed this now because I informed them when i found the template was wrong.

simonsez said:
Perfect timing , i just think to make my front panel with acrylic. Do you have any issue with that non conductive material? Is that strong enough when you put it on the rack?

Nope, no issues, no ground loops, hiss, buzz or any such problems. I haven't actually tested it in a rack (as i don't have one) but I've held it up by just the rack ears and it was fine. As the SSL is quite light though, I would maybe try and test it before or go for a thicker front panel if I was building something full of iron. Im using a 4mm front panel BTW.

Already started designing my next project!

Cheers
-Elliott

[/quote]
I'm not sure if you can buy the sides/back/top&bottom on their own without a front panel; i just got a complete Schroff Case from farnell
[/quote]

Hi Elliot,

thanks for the quick answer.

I have really thought of these profiles must be some german stuff like KNUERR or SCHROFF.These companies are the big ones here and do mainly industrial housings and racks.Some of the racks we have in our company-all BTO for distribution-amps etc.- are built similar to yours but up to 6RU.Will read a bit in those really biiiiigggg catalogues if time permitting ;)

Happy new year and thanks again for the hint!

Best,

Udo.

Latest posts

Back