SSL mod: extra gain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorhifikit

First of all, I'm dissapointed about the RO thing - but THRILLED that DIY is alive and well here! Glad I found you all.

Now the question:
I've had no problems with the extra 6dB of gain on my SSL clone, up untill now. What's the best way to bring this down closer to unity?

Also, I'm going abroad with a lot of my gear, including my SSL clone. It's going to need a power supply mod to accept European voltage. I'll check my transformer and ask this in another thread.

Thanks

To get the gain down to unity, change the 15 k resistors that have the star next to them in Gyraf's schematic. They should be 27k. It says to change if you are running unbalanced, but I did the mod when running balanced and I'm at unity gain now.

Ian

I know this thread is really really old...but i have to ask...
What's the benefit of running the unit at +6 gain? Wouldn't unity gain
'be' more practical?

Desol

I just built two G-SSL's and they are both great. I built them slightly differently, one with the unity gain mod and the other without so I could see the difference. Since I'm a newbie I'm trying to learn and it seemed like a good way to do it.

Now if I'm hearing it right using the 15K resistors I have 6db more gain in the unit, so if I put a 0db signal in and don't compress it at all, It will be 6db at the output?

So if I use the 27K resistors I get 0 in and 0 out under the same circumstances, is that correct?

Now I'm curious, could you possibly put a DPDT on/on switch in there that had the 15K on one pole and the 27K on the other and switch between the two levels, so if you really wanted to smash with the most extreme settings :twisted: you could switch to the 15k and get an added 6db of make-up gain, otherwise you could just use the 27K for unity? Would this work?

Wouldn't it be better to use an SPST switch that switches a 33,750 ohm (ideal value) resistor in parallel with the 27k to achieve 15k nominal? That way, there would be less noise when changing gain because there would always be some resistance in the circuit. Much simpler wiring too!

Latest posts

Back