ICs, Passives, and other component quality...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBVries

Alright fellas,

This is kindof two different questions but can anyone speak to why in such a seemingly simple device such as a 1n4004 such price difference occur. I would imagine it is simple company overhead and being able to manufacture for cheaper but I can't really imagine there would be much difference in component quality of something this simple... am I right?

Same component and values. Much different price. Likely just as capable?

Screenshot2010-12-31at50231PM.png

Also, What do you think about both of these evil bay sellers out of Hong Kong.... counterfeit or just better price?

Screenshot2010-12-31at51158PM.png

Screenshot2010-12-31at52032PM.png

Thank you as always for your consult.

Cheers,
JB

On the diodes. If the vendor is a reputable company than I would have no hesitation to buy the cheaper option for volume.

On the opamps it is very difficult to say but I would be exteremely careful. Having said that I once purchased 5000 Blue LEDs from a Hong Kong e-bay seller. The goods were absolutely spot on and arrived in proper anti-static bags. Best would be to purchase a couple of them and test.  

Digikey has the AD797. $8.36 each
For 2 pcs., that's only $16.72 coming from a reputable seller.

Or if you want to save $1.73, then order from that eBay seller.

EDIT:
If you add shipping charges, you're not really saving any money buying from that ebay seller.
Digikey -- $16.72 + $7.87 shipping = $24.59
Ebay seller -- $14.99 + $10 shipping = $24.99

EDIT 2:
Savings if buying from eBay seller = -$0.40 

owel said:
Digikey has the AD797. $8.36 each
For 2 pcs., that's only $16.72 coming from a reputable seller.

Or if you want to save $1.73, then order from that eBay seller.

*cough* shipping cost *cough*.

JDB.
[as for the 1N4004: some companies' quantity discount only kicks in for tens of thousands of parts. Besides, for any manufacturer it makes sense to carry several generic parts, as that makes it more attractive for customers ('one stop shopping')]

EDIT: overlapping posts (although now it looks Owel has the sign on the savings wrong); plus Digi shipping charge is waived for orders over a few tens of $

On the diodes the 5k price was the same...

Lower volume prices look like a matter of which the vendor would rather move.

Re: buying ICs on EBAY??  How did the seller get them? and why are they selling them? 

Life is too short to deal with parts that fell off a lorry, or have uncertain parentage.

JR

Latest posts

Back