TI PGA2500 Evaluation Module - usable as-is?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meko

hey there,

I am having serious problems understanding something about the texas instruments pga2500 / pga2500evm (evaluation module).
some time ago, I came across this thread http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/332217-100-preamp.html on gearslutz
where someone obviously used this evaluation module as a preamp like it is and praised its sound like it was a revelation.
I was planning to do the same, but then I read that due to the 5v the pga2500 chip is running at, the headroom would be limited and thus the preamp would not sound that good.
Is this true? If so, is it only true for the evaluation module?
On this forum, I have seen Igor build his own preamp based on his designs around the pga2500 and it seems to sound quite satisfactory judging from what the comments say.
I am very confused and would greatly appreciate your help.
thanks a lot!

meko said:
hey there,

I am having serious problems understanding something about the texas instruments pga2500 / pga2500evm (evaluation module).
some time ago, I came across this thread http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/332217-100-preamp.html on gearslutz
where someone obviously used this evaluation module as a preamp like it is and praised its sound like it was a revelation.
I was planning to do the same, but then I read that due to the 5v the pga2500 chip is running at, the headroom would be limited and thus the preamp would not sound that good.
Is this true? If so, is it only true for the evaluation module?
On this forum, I have seen Igor build his own preamp based on his designs around the pga2500 and it seems to sound quite satisfactory judging from what the comments say.
I am very confused and would greatly appreciate your help.
thanks a lot!

The person who says, "headroom would be limited" doesn't quite understand what headroom really is.

The PGA2500 is really intended to be a mic preamp front-end to an ADC, which these days typically run off of a +5V supply for the analog side. And the ADC inputs aren't usually rail-to-rail swing, anyways. So there's not much point in having an device whose outputs can swing to +/- 30V if you only have to attenuate afterwards.

-a

thanks for the reply, andy. In my application, the preamp will be used only as a front end to the adc, which in fact will be the PCM4222EVM from the same company. So I guess it'll work. Sorry to bother you with these newbie issues, really appreciate your help.
meko

Latest posts

Back