ron_swanson

Re: SA-3A (LA-3A Clone) Support Thread
« Reply #380 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »
Turned out to be a faulty input transformer! I’ve got my mouser cart saved with the parts I used if anyone is interested! lots of things on the original BOM has been phased out. Thanks to hairball and serpent for this awesome build!

Kprellz,

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of your Mouser BOM, if you don't mind? 

Thanks in advance
Greg

meltintohuman

« Reply #381 on: November 19, 2019, 10:22:57 PM »
Turned out to be a faulty input transformer! I’ve got my mouser cart saved with the parts I used if anyone is interested! lots of things on the original BOM has been phased out. Thanks to hairball and serpent for this awesome build!

I would also be interested in your cart. Thanks!

« Reply #382 on: November 28, 2019, 06:48:04 PM »

I also added a switch to the 604 1/2 w output termination.  So know I can switch that in and out from the front panel as well. 

Hey guys, can anyone explain how to implement this loading/termination mod?  The old la3a units had terminals on the back, the SA-3A doesnt.  So would I just strap a 604 1/5 watt resistor on the (+) and (-) output jumper pins on the board or am I missing something.   (see pic attached)

« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »
bump

Blackdawg

« Reply #384 on: December 03, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »

also be interested in the BOM tweaks you did

« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »

I would also be super grateful for the Mouser Cart info.  Thank you!

Blackdawg

« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2020, 12:20:08 AM »
Hey guys, can anyone explain how to implement this loading/termination mod?  The old la3a units had terminals on the back, the SA-3A doesnt.  So would I just strap a 604 1/5 watt resistor on the (+) and (-) output jumper pins on the board or am I missing something.   (see pic attached)

PRetty sure the load mod AKA the clearmountain mod is what the switch on the front thats says "Mod" does.

RJS

« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2020, 10:32:50 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just finished mine and quickly made sure there was no smoke, fuse blowing etc.  I haven't calibrated yet but just plugging a mic into the inputs, to see if the unit reacted to a signal I noticed that the meters respond to Output mode only.  They do not move at all in GR mode.  This applies to both meters.  Any suggestions as to where I should look to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Robert

« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just finished mine and quickly made sure there was no smoke, fuse blowing etc.  I haven't calibrated yet but just plugging a mic into the inputs, to see if the unit reacted to a signal I noticed that the meters respond to Output mode only.  They do not move at all in GR mode.  This applies to both meters.  Any suggestions as to where I should look to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Robert

When you say the meters "do not move in GR mode" are they properly "snapping" to 0db when you switch to show gain reduction, and they are simply not showing any gain reduction? Or are they sitting at -infinity (to the left) when you switch to show gain reduction?

If it's the former, I suggest you plug a line level device into the compressor, rather than a microphone. The reason for this is that it will be much easier to push the unit into gain reduction by feeding it a level for which it was designed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:06:44 AM by theposterkid »

RJS

« Reply #389 on: March 15, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
Hey Posterkid, thanks for the reply.

I actually managed to get the meters to respond in GR mode, reading rainton’s instructions posted earlier in the thread; turn the stereo adjust fully clock clockwise.

I finished the project and everything worked right away adjusted TP1 to 12.5V and completed the stereo calibration successfully.  However, I had an intermittent buzz issue even though I sanded the back of the panel for the switches and grounded pin 1 of the XLR’s to the star ground.  It drove me crazy for 2 days.  I could get it to stop by pressing on parts of the case and once I put the lid on the unit and tightened the screws, the buzz went away.  So I am guessing the case had to make better contact with ground and once it was screwed together, it finally made solid contact to ground. 

Next time I am going to use the screw down terminals with shielded wire, the molex ones in these size are a pain and are not the most secure.  The trifurcation pins are a much better connection but they only come in .156 sizes.

The unit is very quiet.  Even with Classic and 50dB selected.  I used a matched pair of medium speed Kenetek TB4s, and the compression is very nice, a great compliment to my GSSL (with Turbo board) sound.

Even through I read through this support thread about 10 times, I was a little nervous taking on this project because this support thread has seen little activity in recent years.  I reached out to some members who were very helpful and gave me a nice confidence boost.  Thank you again guys, I am most appreciative.

-Robert

« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Glad to hear it, Robert!

RJS

« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2020, 03:44:45 PM »
Actually.....

The buzz I mentioned came back.  So I sanded some more of the case but that did not help.

I noticed that the molex connections were not the best so I decided to replace them with screw down terminals as one poster mentioned here earlier on. That seemed to work at first but then I noticed the buzz came back sporadically.

After some troubleshooting I noticed that putting pressure/tapping on the mic input transformers would recreate the buzz/noise. I figured maybe cold solder joint.  So I took the boards out and reflowed the solder joints on the mic input transformers.

I plug it in now and have nothing, it passes a signal in bypass but when engaged--nothing.

I spent several days going thought this and I am at my wits end with this thing.  Would anybody be interested in troubleshooting/fixing this?  I will pay you of course.  I just would hate to see this collect dust and not be used.  (When it worked it sounded great)

Please PM me if you would be interested.

Thanks,
Robert

RJS

« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
I'm wondering if I grounded the input transformers by accident after reflowing.  Is there a way I can test to see if I am shorting the transformer?  It looks like while in the PCB all pins are making continuity to ground--that cant be right.  When mounting should the transformer be flush to the PCB or should there be space in between?

Thanks,
Robert

RJS

« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
Soo.....

I read over the instructions thread and cannot believe I missed the part of not mounting the input transformer flush with the pcb!  I only ready the part about the transistor cans not being too close to the board.

Anyway, I desoldered the transformers and unfortunately took out some component side pads in the process.  The trace side pads are all still intact.

I am going to replace the input transformers but was wondering if I should use the flying leads version over the PCB mounted one.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

kishibashi

« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
I just purchased pcbs. The original links to schematic, BOM everything is dead. Can someone send me schematic and updated BOM that seems to be going around to keita at 3dbsound.com Please and thank you!

RJS

« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
Finally success!

I replaced the input transformers-gave them plenty of space between the case and PCB,  put a piece of fish paper in between as an added precaution and everything is now working.  Again, really nice sounding unit. 

Lesson learned: Read the manual several times before beginning the project!

-Robert

RJS

« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
For those interested he is my BOM from Mouser.   If you have the 600 Ohm Switchable Mod, you will need 16 toggle switches. 

The meters, transformers and knobs were from Hairball Audio, and the case was from Collective cases.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

RJS

« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »
Kishibashi,

Attached is the schematic.

-Robert