SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chrispsound said:
Can't seem to find 47k Triple R/Log Pot on the AML site and the only 2k2 R/Log Pot is 20mm, are the Pots supposed to be 16 or 20mm?  ChrisP

I believe Colin is expecting the triple 47k r/log pots in any day now.  Both the dual and triple are 20mm.
Best,
Joe Neil

OK, here's a tease.  This is a prototype.  Not quite finished, but close.

SSL4K01.jpg

Best,
Bruno2000

Bruno 2K ;D - are these boards designed to use a "tray" or do they just attach to the front panel via the pots only?

Thanks for doing all this work for us!

I ordered mine directly from Analog Devices - but that was about a year ago. I think they are nearing "end of life".

Their replacement part is the MAT12 - same pinout, similar specs i think, hopefully it will drop right in?

There's also the THAT300 matched NPN quad from That Corp, but that's a different pinout of course. Not sure if it's suitable, specs wise. If it is, perhaps future boards layouts could have both pinouts available.

haima said:
Bruno 2K ;D - are these boards designed to use a "tray" or do they just attach to the front panel via the pots only?

Thanks for doing all this work for us!

All of the boards that I've built so far just use the front panel pots.  However, for the 9K board, and the new 4K, there is enough clearance in the front, and mounting holes on the board in the rear if you want to use a tray.
Best,
Bruno2000

The first pair of prototype 4K boards are completed, with Cinemag transformers.  They look really good on the System One, and we will be doing listening tests this afternoon, and again on Monday.
Best,
Bruno2000

Kevin said:
Bruno could you tell us the mouser order number for the teflon tubes ??
that would be really nice....

I bought this stuff by the 100' roll, but here's a 4' piece from Mouser 602-FIT-400-20.  Another source would a piece of plenum rated CAT5 cable.
The tubing does not HAVE to be Teflon, it's just nicer that is doesn't melt when you solder the wire inside.
Best,
Joe Neil

Hi Bruno

I recommend trying a Jensen in there.

I started with the Jensen, tried a few others ( although not a Cinemag ) and always came back to the Jensen.

It is pure audio orgasm! I totally fell in love with it.

I have been buying all the Jensens I can find since then.....

Peter

peterc said:
Hi Bruno

I recommend trying a Jensen in there.

I started with the Jensen, tried a few others ( although not a Cinemag ) and always came back to the Jensen.

It is pure audio orgasm! I totally fell in love with it.

I have been buying all the Jensens I can find since then.....

Peter

Greetings Peter,
I had the Cinemags on hand, so the first build was with them.  I, too, am a big fan of the Jensen transformers, but had none in stock.  I plan on doing other builds with different transformers, and doing a shoot out.
Best,
Bruno2000

3nity said:
Is there a way to get rid of the variable filter bruno?
I want to be sure before commiting.

Sure!  I will get together a list of parts to leave out, and you'll need to put in a jumper instead of the HPF in/out relay.  You'll probably have to use some kind of tray to insure mechanical stability since without the HPF pot, the board will then be attached to the front panel by only the gain pot.
Best,
Bruno2000

mata_haze said:
Perhaps silly question,
but would you consider offering kits for (with metalwork..) for the 4K?

Best,
Mattia.

I'm not really inclined to do a "kit" since all of the parts for the 4K are easily obtainable from the usual sources, and the board will accommodate a choice of several input transformers. I will, however, make a FPD file available for the front panel.
Best,
Bruno2000

Back