SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bruno2000 said:
mata_haze said:
Perhaps silly question,
but would you consider offering kits for (with metalwork..) for the 4K?

Best,
Mattia.

I'm not really inclined to do a "kit" since all of the parts for the 4K are easily obtainable from the usual sources, and the board will accommodate a choice of several input transformers. I will, however, make a FPD file available for the front panel.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thank you!

Mattia.

bruno2000 said:
3nity said:
Is there a way to get rid of the variable filter bruno?
I want to be sure before commiting.

Sure!  I will get together a list of parts to leave out, and you'll need to put in a jumper instead of the HPF in/out relay.  You'll probably have to use some kind of tray to insure mechanical stability since without the HPF pot, the board will then be attached to the front panel by only the gain pot.
Best,
Bruno2000

OK, if you don't want the HPF, leave out:  C10, C203, C204, C205, C206, R3, R9, R13, R215, R220, R221, R223, R225, R226.  Also leave out IC3, IC205, IC208, and their associated bypass caps, and jumper together the normally closed contact pads of RL2.
Best,
Bruno2000

Wow I think my eyeballs are gonna fall out. Been stuffing a pair of these for hours with just my parts stash. Really nice pro boards. Can't wait to hear them. VERY COOL!

Gotta make a parts order soon tho after I figure out what I need. Also Brunno do ya have the FPE file for the 500 plate?

Man real nice job on this board btw. Congrats!

John

EDIT Never mind is on first page LOL

"I ordered the relays from Apex Jr. they are 24 volts?"

Stagefright13 said:
Wow I think my eyeballs are gonna fall out. Been stuffing a pair of these for hours with just my parts stash. Really nice pro boards. Can't wait to hear them. VERY COOL!

Gotta make a parts order soon tho after I figure out what I need. Also Brunno do ya have the FPE file for the 500 plate?

Man real nice job on this board btw. Congrats!

John

EDIT Never mind is on first page LOL

"I ordered the relays from Apex Jr. they are 24 volts?"

That relay part number is a mistake.  They should be 12V relays, but yes, they came from Apex Jr.
Sorry for the error!
Best,
Bruno2000

Are R1 & R2 supposed to be 1/3 watt?  Are R4,R6 and R12 supposed to be 5% carbon film?  What voltage is the 1A Bridge,  I have a 1A 200V one in my spare parts bin, will that work?  Does anyone have a part # for the 100nF bypass caps and 3p3F, 10pF, 22pF with the bends in the legs for easy top board soldering?  Sorry for the stupid questions.  ChrisP

chrispsound said:
Are R1 & R2 supposed to be 1/3 watt?  Are R4,R6 and R12 supposed to be 5% carbon film?  What voltage is the 1A Bridge,  I have a 1A 200V one in my spare parts bin, will that work?  Does anyone have a part # for the 100nF bypass caps and 3p3F, 10pF, 22pF with the bends in the legs for easy top board soldering?  Sorry for the stupid questions.  ChrisP

Yes, R1 and R2 are 1/3 W.
R4, R6, and R12 CAN be 5% carbon, as all they do is current limit the LED's.  Pretty much any type will do.
The bridge can be anything above 100V.
Mouser part number for the 100nF bypass caps is 594-K102K15X7RF53L2
For caps with bent leads, look at the data sheets on the Mouser parts page, and select the suffix you need for the leg style you want.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi Bruno!
have you got some suggestion where i can buy MAT02 > now replaced by MAT12AHZ?
Farnell, digikey etc. seems not available, only on order..
or i can replace with something else?
best.
Corrado

tamtamstudio said:
Hi Bruno!
have you got some suggestion where i can buy MAT02 > now replaced by MAT12AHZ?
Farnell, digikey etc. seems not available, only on order..
or i can replace with something else?
best.
Corrado

I believe electrochronic has some for sale.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
chrispsound said:

R4, R6, and R12 CAN be 5% carbon, as all they do is current limit the LED's.  Pretty much any type will do.
Mouser part number for the 100nF bypass caps is 594-K102K15X7RF53L2
For caps with bent leads, look at the data sheets on the Mouser parts page, and select the suffix you need for the leg style you want.
Best,
Bruno2000

The Mouser part # is for 1000pF isn't 100nf= 100000pf. For bypass caps it may not matter maybe?  I ended up getting a whole bunch of 100nF Murata caps since i had to make a Digi-Key order anyway for another project.  I am eagerly awaiting the pots that I purchased from Colin.  Can't wait to get this thing fired up.  Thanks Again.  ChrisP

chrispsound said:
bruno2000 said:
chrispsound said:

Mouser part number for the 100nF bypass caps is 94-K102K15X7RF53L25
Best,
Bruno2000

The Mouser part # is for 1000pF isn't 100nf= 100000pf. For bypass caps it may not matter maybe?  I ended up getting a whole bunch of 100nF Murata caps since i had to make a Digi-Key order anyway for another project.  I am eagerly awaiting the pots that I purchased from Colin.  Can't wait to get this thing fired up.  Thanks Again.  ChrisP

You are right! The part number for the 100pF caps should be 594-K104Z15Y5VF53L2.
Sorry for the incorrect info!
Best,
Bruno2000

Greetings folks,
Here are some photos of the prototype 4K Pre Amp in the 500 / 51X format with some extras.  The extras are the SSL style HPF, a THAT 1646 output stage, and a 3 dB per step meter, just like the 9K project.  These are set up so that you can use the Cinemag transformer (pictured), or offerings by Jensen, OEP, Lundahl, Carnhill, or Ed Anderson's new transformer, available from Hairball.
Gustave will have the boards available shortly, the pots came from Colin at Audio Maintenance, and the nice blue front panel came from FPE.
Best,
Bruno2000

4K01.jpg

4K02.jpg

Hello Bruno
thinking to get a couple ....
it's expensive project ?  ???
how much have you spent for a module?
peace

bruno2000 said:
gar381 said:
As with the 9k this 4k offering is VERY NICE Bruno !! :)
What model of Cinemag is that ?

GARY

Thanks for the kind words!

The transformer pictured is the Cinemag CM-75101APC.

Here's the BOM with some Mouser part numbers

http://www.dopplerstudios.com/pictures/SSL4KBOM11.pdf
Best,
Bruno2000

r2d2 said:
Hello Bruno
it's expensive project ?  ???
peace

bruno2000 said:
gar381 said:

GARY

Best,
Bruno2000

The most expensive part of these is the transformer.  Those Cinemags were (IIRC) about $50 US.  There are less and more expensive options.  The pots from Colin are about 9 Pounds plus shipping to where ever you are.  

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon.html  

The meter parts are about $15 US, but you can leave that out if you want.  The rest of the parts shouldn't be over $20 US (wild guess), and of course, there are the boards, which have not been priced yet.
Hope this helps!
Best,
Bruno2000  

edit:added link

bruno2000 said:
r2d2 said:
Hello Bruno
it's expensive project ?  ???
peace

bruno2000 said:
gar381 said:

GARY

Best,
Bruno2000

The most expensive part of these is the transformer.  Those Cinemags were (IIRC) about $50 US.  

http://www.cinemag.biz/mic_input/mic_input.html

There are less and more expensive options.  The pots from Colin are about 9 Pounds plus shipping to where ever you are.  

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon.html  

The meter parts are about $15 US, but you can leave that out if you want.  The rest of the parts shouldn't be over $20 US (wild guess), and of course, there are the boards, which have not been priced yet.
Hope this helps!
Best,
Bruno2000  

edit:added links

The 12v relays that Steve @ Apex Jr. has are yellowish in color and are labeled: Aromat DS2YE-S-DC12V .  Will these work?  Does the shorter pin on the LED Indicators (48v, Pad, etc.) go on the gain pot side or on the filter pot side? My 9k pre passes audio with a sm57 hooked up.  Removed the 57 and checked the switches for LED illumination and nothing happens.  Will test for proper voltages tomorrow and report back(no time today).  ChrisP

mata_haze said:
can't wait to see the boards appearing on the WM....

I have been using the 4K for ages and love the sound of this preamp!!!

M.
How would you describe the sound Mata, is it more like a hardy preamp?

Back