SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
I have a little issue with my 9ks
voltages at IC22 & 29 (NE5534) on booth of my boards are not were they are supposed to be.
Pin 2 has 11,2 VDC
Pin 3 has 16 VDC

i measured these values with all socketed ICs removed from the sockets.

is this normal behaviour?  :-\ would be great if somebody has a idea where i can hunt the mistake.

cheers  :)

Hi guys, could somebody PM me the front panel layout? or is there somebody that makes front panels? THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE :)

bruno2000 said:
D305 and D306 are backwards on the silkscreen of V3.9.  There is also a mod to adjust the gain of the HPF.  Send me your email in a PM.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hello Bruno, just finishing 4 of your 9k congratulations they are fantastic.
I'm thinking about making some 4k also, should be posible to ask you for the schematic of the 4k?
I'd like to take a look at it before askin Gustav for PCBs

Thank you

Gorka U said:
Hello Bruno, just finishing 4 of your 9k congratulations they are fantastic.
I'm thinking about making some 4k also, should be posible to ask you for the schematic of the 4k?

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=69023.msg879065#msg879065

I would recommend to wait a bit for the other stuff until your PCB arrived.
Especially the film caps have different sizes and i get in trouble with some, cause I ordered the wrong lead sizes.

TillM said:
I would recommend to wait a bit for the other stuff until your PCB arrived.
Especially the film caps have different sizes and i get in trouble with some, cause I ordered the wrong lead sizes.

Thanks!

I feel pretty confident about the longer film caps. I did a fair amount of research on those.

But I won't order the Mouser BOM until the PCBs arrive. That was always my plan. I'll take measurements and such.

I just got off the phone with a guy in the UK selling some of the obscure parts.

Look at the thread, there is a link to Franks shop (audio chronic), he has Mat02 for the build and is in US.
For the gain pot you can use stereo pots u desire, the only thing hat you need from Colin (AML) are the triple gang pots for the lowpass (or was it a high pass?)

TillM said:
Look at the thread, there is a link to Franks shop (audio chronic), he has Mat02 for the build and is in US.
For the gain pot you can use stereo pots u desire, the only thing hat you need from Colin (AML) are the triple gang pots for the lowpass (or was it a high pass?)

The other pot is dual gang. And the BOM PDF I downloaded from PCBrinder said they both had to be reverse logarithmic.

Do you have a part number for a more common part that I don't have to order from England?

Will check with audio chronic.

Turns out I already got ahold of Frank. No one replied to the ymail address I saw in the older posts, but I found his Curious Audio site and emailed and the new address. He replied there, and I'm just waiting to get another email back from him about quantities and shipping costs.

https://nl.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Voltage-Regulators-Voltage-Controllers/Linear-Voltage-Regulators/_/N-5cg9g?P=1z0z60l&Keyword=l78l05&FS=True

My first 9K is basically done. Just waiting for some panels to come in from Frank Rollen so I can figure out how long the LEDs needs to be on the VU meter.

But my question is this. I'm not done building my CAPI 500 series rack, but will be tomorrow. I noticed the board will plug into the normal 500 series slots, but the extra two 51X connectors make it so it won't insert all the way on the bottom. Do people just cut those off?

So I finished my CAPI 500 rack and plugged the SSL 9k module, in, and tested it. This was without the VU meter daughter board hooked up.

Everything worked fine. Tested it with a dynamic and condenser with phantom on and off. The pad and phase worked fine, but when I engaged the high-pass, it became an oscillator. The pot that controls the frequency on the front, and the pot on the board that controls the knee let you change frequency of the oscillator.

I searched and didn't see anyone else with this problem in the thread.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back