SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fredschmitt said:
hi,
what could replace the MAT-02H in the 9k?
any idea or source?

MAT-12 is the "official" replacement part.

However, SSL used LM394 at the time; unfortunately, it is obsolete nowadays but you could use the AS394H or the mil-spec AS194H.

Giovanni

fredschmitt said:
hi,
what could replace the MAT-02H in the 9k?
any idea or source?

Like Giovanni said, there is a modern equivalent. Jeff sells it at CAPI.

https://capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=637

I managed to find some legit LM394s on ebay, but since I learned about the AS194, I've only been using those.

Hi Friends
Since the last weeks i'm redesigning this loved SSL Preamp(s) I also build and own them from the beginning when beloved Joe Neil designed them for us. I thought about to make them more versatile for more recording and live situations

i used the shematic of the 9K, 4k transformerless(4K-G) and 4k Transformerbased (4K-E)

Stepped recallableSwitchable Gain on all Modules with Grayhill Switches
1646 Output,
48V, PAD, POL,
frequency selective HIGH and LOW CUT,
Colour Option (DIYRE) also include a colour mode without adding an extra colour module.
Output Fader
Level Indicator Meter switchable After Fader or after Preamp.
Peak LED after Preamp
I use AS194H in 4k-G and 9k-J
Its running on +16V/-16V+48V in the VPR or 51X Rack

Will open in next days when prototypboards are here a new thread, thinking about to offer full kits
Interest?

db6n6bq4.jpg

Kevin said:
Hi Friends
Since the last weeks i'm redesigning this loved SSL Preamp(s) I also build and own them from the beginning when beloved Joe Neil designed them for us. I thought about to make them more versatile for more recording and live situations

i used the shematic of the 9K, 4k transformerless(4K-G) and 4k Transformerbased (4K-E)

1646 Output,
48V, PAD, POL,
Colour Option (DIYRE) also include a colour mode without adding an extra colour module.
Output Fader
Peak LED after Preamp

Will open in next days when prototypboards are here a new thread, thinking about to offer full kits
Interest?

db6n6bq4.jpg

If I ever have money again I would build a couple of these. I have 14 of the classics but it might be fun to build a couple of these.

Kevin said:
Hi Friends

Very Nice that you included an Output Level control,
I love to drive into distortion the 4K G Series Mic pre.

As for 4K transformer less Preamps, there's 2 if I can remember correctly. There's the E-series Transformerless (Last Version after the transformer based) and the G Series .

Really Nice Work,
Best Regards

Tiago

Kevin said:
Hi Friends

1646 Output,
48V, PAD, POL,
Output Fader
Peak LED after Preamp

Interest?

db6n6bq4.jpg

Kevin you are incredible !!!
Waiting for a 4k for years!

Kevin said:
Hi Friends

1646 Output,
48V, PAD, POL,
Output Fader
Peak LED after Preamp

Interest?

db6n6bq4.jpg

yes please

To clarify a bit I use

SSL 82E149 transformerless thats formerly also a E Series but with two LM394, The G series is a bit similiar from that circuit design.

SSL 82E01 Transformer based with JT115K-EPC like the original used on the cards

and the SSL 9k found in the SSL tech docs

I will use switches for gain for all my designs

Ricardus said:
I've never needed a Low Pass filter for tracking tho... but I guess it never hurts to have it in your toolbox.

Not as used or useful has the HPF in tracking but still it's useful and doesn't hurt to have it.

Ex:
- shave some high end on E Guitars above 5Khz if it's an heavy session and you need space on the top end
- take some high end off the Bass, or even make it muffled if you want
- Make a condenser mic sound more like a Ribbon, or reduce Brilliance in any over bright source or mic

There's many more uses that I can't remember right now,
It's a tool, I think it's nice to have it, but what really does it for me in this project is the Output Volume control,
that one I really missed in previous 4K preamp projects

Kevin said:
Hi Friends

Hey Kevin,

Due to Italian endless lockdown, I'm working on kinda the same thing since last summer, with different (let's say) extras tho  :D

Let's see what we get

Giovanni

Kevin said:
Hi Friends

1646 Output,
48V, PAD, POL,
Output Fader
Peak LED after Preamp

Interest?

db6n6bq4.jpg

i would definitely order at least one kit

Kevin said:
thinking about to offer full kits
Interest?

Hello Kevin,
how is the development going on?

If you offer full kits or front panels, could the the color be Grey (SSL eisque) instead of Black?
The Grey color could be more interesting

Thanks, Best regards

Hi there
i have big news. I'm still in Plan to offer kits by mid of April.
All measurments and testing and Failure searching in my prototype units is done completly
I also added Listening Samples and compared the VP312 + SSL 9k5 from this thread with these Preamps
More info and more pictures in the new thread:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=77087.0
here are these beauties:
wbbota5r.jpg

and the colour module i designed;)
25wlduvg.jpg

Hey all, first time posting here after delving into a 9k5 build after a handful of guitar pedal builds! everything's going well so far but I seem to have not bought any LEDs, after following the BOM on Gustav's PCBGrinder site. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what sort of LEDs should I be buying off Mouser for the LED meter?! They don't look much like the one's I have batches of for guitar pedals.

m1lkybar said:
but what sort of LEDs should I be buying off Mouser for the LED meter?! They don't look much like the one's I have batches of for guitar pedals.

I think they are 3mm LEDs. You should measure the holes in the front panel.
They will be 3mm or 5mm, but I think it's 3mm.

https://www.banzaimusic.com/LEDs/

m1lkybar said:
Hey all, first time posting here after delving into a 9k5 build after a handful of guitar pedal builds! everything's going well so far but I seem to have not bought any LEDs, after following the BOM on Gustav's PCBGrinder site. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what sort of LEDs should I be buying off Mouser for the LED meter?! They don't look much like the one's I have batches of for guitar pedals.

The docs I got specified an LED but Mouser was either really low on them at the time or that particular part was going to become obsolete, so I went with these:

696-SSL-LX3044YD

696-SSL-LX3044ID

696-SSL-LX3044LGD

Back