IC upgrade for the LM301's and the LF356

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeurloo

White Market Member
Has anyone found a pin to pin IC upgrade for the LM301's and the LF356.  I have 6 ward beck eq's I was thinking about updating the IC's in or at least testing what some modern chips might sound like.

I was thinking of the OPA604's.  Any others that would work or might be better.

Thanks

IIRC the LF356 was a decent opamp for it's time. one of the early bi-fets. Relatively fast and relatively low noise. One quirk I didn't care for was an asymmetrical slew rate limit, but that was adequately above the speed needed for most audio paths. The LM301 is indeed an old soldier, that needs to be retired and replaced with almost anything newer, maybe even a 356.

JR

Here is the schematic for the basic Ward Beck EQ. 
http://www.dandeurloo.com/diy/Ward Beck/M462_Equalizer.pdf

I think a few of these ought to drop in. 

I wonder if the National has a high enough power rating? 

Also, I wonder if you guys think I will hear the biggest difference in the eq filters or if I change them in the output amp.

Thanks for your help

Leave the LF356's in place, iirc they simply buffer the discrete output stage. Upgrade the 301's. I think when I did my WBS console I used BB OPA604's in the EQ and they sounded nice. You'll need an opamp that will run on 42v.

Mark

Use the LM49870 on a Brown Dog or similar adapter.

It's a 44v part, similar very good performance.

Be sure to pull the compensation parts connected to pin 1 and pin 8 and any
other pin for each 301 position.

You'll need to look for oscillations when you're done, the new parts are
fast and may need a bit of work to stabilize.

I would tend to put at least a .1uf from pin 4 to 7 on each IC.

You could also grab Scott L and a 12 pack and come over to the shop some night...

Dan Kennedy said:
You could also grab Scott L and a 12 pack and come over to the shop some night...

Twist my arm!!!

I'm in!  I'll see Scott tonight and see what he has to say.  I'm sure will have a few demands on which brand of beer.

SMALL UPDATE

making some solid head way on these!  Dan Kennedy has made many excellent suggestions and we will test them this weekend.

From quick listening it has been a massive upgrade.  Much Much smoother in all bands, specially the high band and the mids.  Still a few things to check out and tweak but hopefully that will happen this weekend.

So far I used the OPA 604's.

Latest posts

Back