Which stereo comp would be better for the mix buss?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I am thinking of making a stereo compressor particularly for the mix buss. To glue my mixes together or to mix to during mixdown.

Anyone have any comments on these builds for these duties or recommend other DIY builds that could cater for what I am looking for?

Pros and cons over one unit over the other for these duties?

What kind of music are you mixing, that might make a difference to the answer.
The SSL  bus comp is a sound everyone knows, and you wouldn't go wrong having one of those to hand generally speaking. Also, given the number of GSSL units that have been built you'd  have no trouble getting parts, cases and support etc for your bulid.

Personally, I built one of Igors mixbuzz units, which I'm very happy with.

The Gimmer

The Gssl was my first DIY build, I found the wealth of information and support in this forum a massive help.
Not to mention that it sounds fantastic.
Another plus for the GSSL is that it was designed as a mix buss compressor to begin with, so it would be just what you are looking for.

AudioGimmer said:
What kind of music are you mixing, that might make a difference to the answer.
The SSL  bus comp is a sound everyone knows, and you wouldn't go wrong having one of those to hand generally speaking. Also, given the number of GSSL units that have been built you'd  have no trouble getting parts, cases and support etc for your bulid.

Personally, I built one of Igors mixbuzz units, which I'm very happy with.

The Gimmer
How does it sound? Does it shave off any of the low end when used?

I have the API 2500 but I want to use it for tracking and buss and was thinking of having a permanent mixbuss compressor to mix in to since I have noticed that the results become different when compressing a finished mix as compared to mixing into a compressor and bouncing that as a finished mix. I do not want to tie up my 2500.

I'm doing two of the SB4000's. Also looking at some vari-mu options with PRR's being the easy and obvious choice for an economical and quick build that is also a good mod candidate for personalization. Igor's 2254 (I believe it's a 2254 with some 33609 controls) would cover that end of the spectrum (or at least part of it).

I have used real SSL and 33609 as bus-compressors and always liked the ssl more for most situations. I can't compare with the DIY versions yet but am looking forward to it in any case.

BTW, you are (or were) marked.

Best,
j

Attachments

• canidoit_666.JPG
    canidoit_666.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 464
Hey Canidoit.
canidoit said:
How does it sound? Does it shave off any of the low end when used?

I have the API 2500 but I want to use it for tracking and buss and was thinking of having a permanent mixbuss compressor to mix in to since I have noticed that the results become different when compressing a finished mix as compared to mixing into a compressor and bouncing that as a finished mix. I do not want to tie up my 2500.

I have an API 2500 too, and for mix bus duties I nearly always prefer the Mixbuzz. How does it sound? it sounds great, like an SSL but clearer and cleaner [ I built it with high grade parts in the audio path and high grade quad Thats VCAs ]

It has S/C filters [as does the API] so heavy low end energy doesn't necessarily make the compressor work too hard.

The most salient point in your post is what you've discovered yourself, i.e. that when mixing with a bus compressor, you need to mix into it, not add it on later.

The Gimmer

Just finished my SB4000........its the absolute king!
Glues a mix and also adds a nice character. I did calibrate the vca's by ear to my preferd THD so im not sure of its exact THD but teh 50k trims are set half way through their turn cycle.
love it.

The concept of "gluing" a mix with a compressor across the bus is not a scientific notion, and in my experience, not a practical one, too.
First I don't think there's a common definition and acceptance of the "glue". but if it means getting the different sources blending in harmony, it comes from having the individual levels, spectra and dynamics under control. A mix should be "glued" before any compressor (or EQ or any other FX) is hammered to the bus. If the mix needs additional compression, EQ or whatever to sound right, there is something wrong with the individual tracks or the mix balance.
Now I understand that, in order to achieve other goals, such as maximising level and giving some uniformity to an album, or correcting deficencies in the monitoring chain, it is deemed necessary to apply additional processing, which is what mastering has become today. But if mastering is needed for "gluing", I think there is something wrong.
It should better be discussed in Studio A anyway.

Dpends on how you work and what you want from a mix, i get given tracks to mix with the idea that i will add somethig to it sonically and take it from one place to another.
Whats the point of a bus compressor if you aint gonna get anything out of it that will enhance the track?
Noted that a great mix should not need to be compressed over the whole mix but it may be the characteristic rather that the dynamics that are changed for the client.
But again there is no right or wrong, its totally subjective, what id think is desirable, the next man may thinks its garbage.
And the science thing is annoying, the numbers could be crap but the sound could be amazing.
We dont listen to percentages we listen to sound

It depends,.. Everybody his own.... Let's say not a lot here dare to say their opinion anymore.

I used on the latest album: Altec (modded after RS124) in combination with Tube-tech LCA2B (for the fast action). I would say a combination of something fast and something slow. Have had great results too with GSSL (with thrust) and Igor 2254. Hope to finish Igor's mixbuzz soon.

abbey road d enfer said:
There are 8777 members o this forum; you will receive 8778 different answers (including yours).

exactly. want to hear mine... stick with your 2500.
cheers, alex

Depending on music material....
MixBuzz1 has ALL possible options and best possible IMHO soundpath;
2254C works grat on rock/electronic etc...
All this depending on your taste.

Igor said:
Depending on music material....
MixBuzz1 has ALL possible options and best possible IMHO soundpath;
2254C works grat on rock/electronic etc...
All this depending on your taste.

Lol, spoken like a true saleman.

Now for some unbiased advice:

You've been asking the same question for months, the only way you'll ever know is to just build one.  Keep your 2500.  Just pick one of the DIY's and build it, build 2, they're all nice, that includes the mixbuzz.  If you don't like it you have nothing to lose, it will take you about 15 minutes to sell it on the black market for at least what it cost to build.  If finances are an issue build a classic GSSL with Turbo.  It's the cheapest way you can go, granted you don't get all the bells an whistles, but you have them already on your 2500.

My 2cents.

hey
recently i had a "cool " mixing session 
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43114.0

after that mixing session I realized that
1 compressor is really never not enough!
in that mixing session (while premix regulations)
i did all the tests that could (before the arrival of chief engineer)
i checked various compressors
m-an-ley va-rimu , t-ube - te-ch cl ,
g-ml 8900 , l-a2a (original), 33609-jd,
ap-i 2500, (unfortunately no u-rei on the racks slides),
and "obviously" I noticed that each compressor
has something different from other ,
about sound and "effect" on the sound ,
i noticed also which depends on the type of music or track
you want to process.
for the little experience I have
i know that in the mastering, if the tracks are mixed well,
usually uses a lightweight compressor,
however it provides the possibility to make fine adjustments ,

while in a radio station the voice of the speaker's have a bit heavy compression  ,
then I personally believe that a good setup must have
at least 3 or 4 compressors ,
to be able to optimize the final result  :)

peace
(all over)

canidoit said:
I am thinking of making a stereo compressor particularly for the mix buss. To glue my mixes together or to mix to during mixdown.

Anyone have any comments on these builds for these duties or recommend other DIY builds that could cater for what I am looking for?

Pros and cons over one unit over the other for these duties?

Q: Which stereo comp would be better for the mix buss?
A: Yes.  Cheesy
There are 8777 members o this forum; you will receive 8778 different answers (including yours).

All thumbs up :)

Lol, spoken like a true saleman.

Now for some unbiased advice:

lol

You've been asking the same question for months, the only way you'll ever know is to just build one.  Keep your 2500.  Just pick one of the DIY's and build it, build 2, they're all nice, that includes the mixbuzz.  If you don't like it you have nothing to lose, it will take you about 15 minutes to sell it on the black market for at least what it cost to build.  If finances are an issue build a classic GSSL with Turbo.  It's the cheapest way you can go, granted you don't get all the bells an whistles, but you have them already on your 2500.

But absolutely agree with your post!

Have to add my 20 cents. If time is the issue, cheapest way is SB4000 or MixBuzz1, take PCB's and order the parts by yourself-
no weird wiring and no need to connect 3 different boards and cut traces. The parts cost is same for MixBuzz1 or SB4000.
Both done with mind to simplify the wiring and have all options of what you have in weird set of 3 boards and more.
MixBuzz1 has more features, and 4x2181VCA pcb's are already supplied, but PCB set priced a bit higher than SB4000.
I think, SB4000 is a bit easier to build, than MixBuzz1.
The rest is your choice.

There are many other compressors which can be used for mixbuss tracking. Do some search etc.

Mmmm... Hope it was unbiased :)))

You've received (some) good advice already.

One feature I would plan for is a stereo link capability, so the compression/limiting does not alter the stereo image.

Compressing the final mix is too much like mixing itself to be objective.

JR

api 2500 is amazing on drum buss with the right settings... attack has to be slow and release fast and no more than a few db of compression... same kind of settings when being careful sounds amazing on a mix... perhaps play with it more?? at least that compressor does not ruin low end!
Govinda

Latest posts

Back