Problems cancelling a recording session

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this work?

Make agreement with studio and label:

LABEL -- You screwed us by backing out of the recording costs commitment. So we want our music rights back.
STUDIO -- We can't pay you money for recording, but we will give you a percentage of all sales from the album.

What you negotiate is what percentage the label no longer takes from the album's success, and the percentage the studio gets from the profits.

Not a lawyer, Only a studio owner and manager for over 30 years.
I never book a session without a deposit and a contract disclosing all details of studio policy.
I'll pencil in a date and put it in ink only after I get the above.
Whenever I have not followed this rule, or let my guard down, I've have gotten burned.
You can't count your chickens before they hatch or count the money until the check clears the bank.
I only take cash from musicans. I never do speck deals anymore unless I get some publishing on the songs.
Nobody wants to pay for a flop.
I hate to say this but, I would would play it out and see if the studio takes legal action. It will cost them time and money which they might not have or could be put into finding a booking for that time.
Next time let the label do the booking, deposit, and contract. Only at that time are you really going into the studio. There's too much B.S. and promises in the music business.
You want me make your dream come true, show me the money.

Seems like  " bird in the hand " small thinking
I'm going after these guys to get money and
not worry about future business
because i can't fill the time now , because i'm not busy
and look deserate instead of trying to offer a service
the band can use or trying to be of value in another way
get what i can , now [ because i don't trust i can get more
tomorrow ]
Who hasn't had a gig canceled in the past ?
happens all the time in this biz , plan for it
be prepared

. . . and further to Marks comment, Life lesson, dont book studiotime on behalf of Label! I have never heard of bands being asked to do this. NO disrespect to any bands anywhere, but I wouldnt even ask a band to get me a sandwich at lunchtime!

Blimey! what a pickle. I hope you can resolve it to everyones mutual benefit.

ANdyP

helterbelter said:
Update !

It looks like our problems are solved : we've got a new record deal with another,  better and bigger recordlabel. Actually, one of the leading companies in the genre.

;D

Now that's the kind of update i wanted to read  ;D Congrats !

Flo

Thanks !

Strange how things can change in just a week's time.
So, the studio owner can go on his cruiseholiday after all.  :D

Kambo :
The contract with the other label will be thrown in the garbagecan, haha.
No, just kidding. The label's owner said that we can go to another label if we want to.  And besides, they haven't fullfilled their side of the deal.

Yes, we're going next friday to record the cd at the same studio after all.
He's a good engineer (as I'm told), delivers good sound quality and from what I've heard from the other bandmembers, he's a nice person as well.  And, with the exception of his financially frustrated response, the band didn't have any problems with the guy so far. The recent events were mainly an "eye for an eye" situation. Either we got broke, or he got broke.

If we will go to the same studio for the one after the next ? Well, we'll see. I hope to be able to record with SSLTech and Colin Richardson one day !  ;D

Or everything is supposed to be o.k. now
all is forgiven and no bad vibe that
someone was trying to stick you with it
i'd say the guy better come up with something extra
what's he just going to smile and say " just kidding " thanks for coming

helterbelter said:
The label's owner said that we can go to another label if we want to.  And besides, they haven't fullfilled their side of the deal.

just be careful...
they are businessman, you are musician,
businessman eats musicians easy...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Good to see this all turned out well. As I read through this thread now for the first time unfortunatly all the talk was about legalities and contracts. Now I guess your previous label wasn't Sony and the studio wasn't Ocean Way if you get what I mean so no one was ever going to court.

In this situation respect and credability will serve you much more than a contract and an angry letter. Good to see you finally fulfilled your oblication and hope the album is a success. I am sure much respect has been earn't now from both parties and this will lead to fond memories and a great recording to treasure for years to come.

Latest posts

Back