Anybody using wifi security cameras?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Hi guys, i was just checking out was is out there concerning little cameras that would work over wifi and be able to check wherever you are.
Still need power cabling though....
Have you heard of those Y-cam or the panasonic brands?

Anybody has done some install in their studio or house Indoor/Outdoor and could help me know what is worth it or not? A comapny would be better i'm sure, but i don't need something too fancy, and i think it's possible to achieve some descent system by our own...

I'm wondering if you can have some other brand cameras working also with the software that would be given for each camera, or (and i suppose it will be) you're screwed and have to stick to one brand for the software, on the Ycam website seem to be some compatiblity with other software, dunno for Panasonic.....

One links of the one most people choose for Indoor use.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-C230A-Wireless-Internet-Security/dp/B002JM5JSU/ref=pd_sim_p_2

And there is this Y-cam brand that looks nice also:
http://www.y-cam.com/products.php

Thanks for the feedback if you guys ever used these kind of devices.

I think that they are a promising technology, and will be much better in years to come, but as of now anyone I spec that has anything worth "filming" wants secure hard-wire and long life UPS powered systems.  I hire subs to install control, video and power over twisted pair.  A simple DVR system can operate for days without power that way.  I have my compound wired that way and a 250 foot run of buried CAT6 for 2 cameras beats wifi any day.  For a nanny-cam thing or casual use go for it.
Mike

Is it for security application?
I have just finished my CCTV installation, that I use as visual cue between the main studio, vocal booth and control-room.
I had tried IP cameras but latency was unacceptable, so I ended up using the standard 2.4GHz systems. Note that these cameras operate on the same frequency than WiFi and will interfere with WiFi.

Yes for security use, don't need a fancy system, i was actually going to purchase one of them and put it to the test, but i'm not usre wich one, Panasonic or Y-cam...
But maybe wired cameras is better than Wifi then...
I know in US there is plenty of choice to choose from, in France it's another story, everything is expensive, and sometimes what is available is crap...

Latest posts

Back