LA3A 500 BUILD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duantro said:
toolboxmuziq said:
Will these pots work?
100K-Ohm Audio-Taper Potentiometer : Potentiometers | RadioShack.comhttp://www.radioshack.com/100k-ohm-audio-taper-potentiometer/2711722.html
Link doesn't work for me, but 100k audio taper appears correct. Check dimensions for fit.

Ok next question. Do the EL Panels have to light up green???? I found blue but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger

I got my El panel finally working. ended up having a short. That is now rectified, but I am struggling with an other issue.

The Squish (comp) pot will adjust the output of the panel, but so will the Output pot. I can have the "squish" all the way up, but if I back off the output the El Panel will dim. I am also not seeing compression of the signal, but I do see a change when engaging the Comp/Limit switch.

Any thoughts?

The Squish (comp) pot will adjust the output of the panel, but so will the Output pot. I can have the "squish" all the way up, but if I back off the output the El Panel will dim. I am also not seeing compression of the signal, but I do see a change when engaging the Comp/Limit switch.

I don't think the gain pot should not affect the EL panel at all.

If you aren't seeing compression, be sure the EL panel / cells are enclosed from room light! This thing doesn't work if you can see the EL panel lighting up.

Do the EL Panels have to light up green???? I found blue but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger
The cells should react to blue as well, I don't know how the EL panel you have will behave though.
Here's a source from a groupdiy'r if you don't know of it:
https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/catalog/new-t4b-opto-el-panels

Oops- that is not how I meant to write that.
The gain pot is after the gain reduction, so it should not affect the EL panel.

hey all did any one else have issues will the comp/limit switch not making any difference and also did you find that the input gain seemed low so you didn't get much compression like only 5db  on max squash??
thanks
dave

Rob Flinn said:
Not likely from LAZpro.  Peter disappeared off the radar a few years ago.    The last contact I had with hm was a few beers in London about 6 years ago.

Too bad, I hope he's ok  :)

Can you (or anyone) recommend another DIY opto comp on here? I tried searching but this was the only one I found.

Hummingwire said:

Can you (or anyone) recommend another DIY opto comp on here? I tried searching but this was the only one I found.
DIYRE has an optical compressor kit

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/ola5-opto-compressor-kit

Serpent Audio has some LA3A boards
https://serpentaudio.com/product/sa-3a-pcb-blank/

It's a long shot as it's been a while, but does anyone have any of the docs available for the LAZ LA3A? I recently picked one up second-hand, and though it sounds great there are a few issues which a schematic and / or layout would make it much simpler to troubleshoot. All the links I've found in this thread and elsewhere are long dead.

Thanks!

Hummingwire said:

DLA2A!
I've built both and the LA2A is the best. It's tube however and bigger.

TwentyTrees said:
It's a long shot as it's been a while, but does anyone have any of the docs available for the LAZ LA3A? I recently picked one up second-hand, and though it sounds great there are a few issues which a schematic and / or layout would make it much simpler to troubleshoot. All the links I've found in this thread and elsewhere are long dead.
Thanks!

Yes, I have some docs

Attachments

• la3adv.jpg
    la3adv.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 48
I am repairing my LAZpro 51x LA3A - i would need one or two DPDT Pushbutton and the black or gray caps. Anyone got an idea where to get it ?
It never worked, but that is one thing definitely broken, so i need to start somewhere :)
Are those correct ? PBH2UEENAGX at mouser

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back