360 degrees Stereo Recording - What Mic Setup??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indeed, it looks great and we definitely need some more info about it.  Perhaps it needs its own thread though so we can get back to the op's original question.  (I'd love some more info keith, please do elaborate!)

As to the op.  I've recorded a classical guitar quartet in a circle (equidistant at the compass points) specifically for the opportunity to try a few stereo mic techniques.  We tried m/s and blumlein in a few different arrangements but ended up with a pair of 4006 (omni) mics pointing in the gap between each pair of players and then added u89 spot mics.  Came out fantastic, the quartet and many listeners have commented on the natural tone and they came back for a second disc demanding the same setup.  Both discs have been on high rotation on Australian classical radio.

With your limited mic selection I would try to get the mics in a sort of equilateral triangle array with all three in cardioid mode facing down at the choir from a reasonable but not too high height.  Try to arrange the choir to be under them in some sort of differentiation of parts so one mic covers basses, one covers baritones and one covers tenors.  So the circle is split into a three pie wedges with a mic for each and not more than say two meters between mics and the mics not more than 1.5 meters above the choir.  Does that all make sense?  I think that we'll give you even coverage, will allow some room tone and will allow to 'mix' the balance of each section.

make of it what you will its a cool opportunity especially if the choir is good and if it was my project and I had those limited mics I would be going out and hiring/buying/borrowing a really excellent stereo pair of multipattern condensors so that I had more micing options.

M

SSLtech said:
I ended up designing and building my own B-format mic some time ago...

Keith

Looks awesome !  :-*

Thomann etc should consider offering these big ribbon enclosures for sale empty as well, lots of DIY-possibilities. (I can't get myself to buy one and just discard the ribbon-motor)

Bye

Not knowing if this is the right way, but if I had to record a group singing in a circle I'd get 4+ (how big is this choir?) SDCs and space them (exactly) between an omni in the center, all at head level. I'd use a string to find the proper radii and spike where the choir should stand. That way you could adjust to a 'realistic' soundfield in the mix.

I don't know how y'all listen to music, but the idea of listening to a bunch of old men singing around me kinda creeps me out!

Keith: That mic looks great! Salvaged from an original Shiny Box ribbon?

Has anyone seen or heard this http://www.josephson.com/c700a.html?

strangeandbouncy said:
surely he can do this (in effect) with 2 x cardiod and 1 fig 8 . . . . . better if all transducers are the same, but .  . .

CORRECTION . .. no he cant. Blumlein is not facing NorthSouth, EastWest,

but NW SE, NE SW

DOH!

Yes you can, its called double m/s -2 m/s pairs using the common fig. of 8 capsule with the cardioid mids facing front and back
You can swap the resulting l-r image by flipping the phase of the 8 of the m/s pair as needed -here you woud have 2 pairs

Matti

Back