Strange issue with my TV

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

Anyone know anything about TV's?

So about 2 years ago I bought a Samsung LCD TV. Worked great. Looked great. Loved it. A few months ago it developed a problem. You would turn it on, then it would turn off and on a couple of times and then stay on. Then it got worse. It would turn on and off a few times, stay on for awhile, then turn off, then back on, and then stay on. Then it got to the point of not turning on for hours, and then suddenly come on. Very strange.

Did a google search and turned up a lot of people having a similar issue. It was tracked to some defective caps in the power supply. However, most people reported a clicking noise as the TV tried to turn itself on, which mine did not do. So I replaced the caps, pressed the power button, and 5 hours later, the TV turned on, and the issue continued. After that, it went into the basement until I could find the time to do more research.

Fast forward a couple of months. I decided to get a new power supply for the TV, but first, I plugged it in to see if it would turn on. And it did! So I turned iut off, and back on again. No issues! So I left it on for an hour, and it stayed on. What the hell!? Its like there was never a problem.

So if you have made it this far, I am seeking any advice anyone can offer. I can buy a new power supply board for $125 local/ $50 online, take the power supply in to a shop where it could cost me less, could cost me more, or it could not be a problem with the power supply at all. Anyways, thanks for reading, and I am grateful for any advice that you cool cats can give.

Could be a "slow start up" timer circuit cap that's dried up. The circuit is having a hard time distinguishing between "on" and "stand by".

I've had this issue with two computer (ATX) PSU's already, but those are so easy to replace with great warraties I never bothered a DIY fix.

What caps did you replace already? Might be some of those very small 16V (or smaller) electrolytics that have dried up and begin acting weird with heat.

Hey Kingston! Thanks for the reply.

The only cap I didn't replace was a very large SMD one. It didn't look like it was bulging, so I left it alone. The 2 problem caps were something like 3300uF 6V filter caps. I replaced them with panasonic FM's of the same rating. 6V seemed low, but higher voltage caps won't fit. I talked to the repair guys again, and the only thing they will do is replace caps I have already replaced.

The warranty on this TV sucks, and after all this, I have learned that under built power supplies are common in most LCD's. I think I'll turn the TV on for a few hours to get it nice and hot, and then turn it off and on a few times. The weird thing is the problem got worse over time, even after the TV had a whole day or 2 to cool off. My CRT is still working fine!

Probably not relevant, but how close are your neighbours?

Sometimes our neighbours can turn off our television - remote seems to work through the wall or bounce round the windows! Took us a while to figure it out.

UK town houses are packed pretty close.

Handy when you don't like what your neighbours are watching! I have one neighbour who lives above me, but the problem persisted even when she is not home. Thats a good idea though, I hadn't that of that.

So the TV has been on for roughly 6 hours, and I have turned it on and off several times so far. No issues. Really weird man! I thought for sure that my DIY had screwed it up worse. Lots of tiny SMD components on this board. Guess I'll keep an eye on it, and order a new supply if it goes south. Thanks for all the input gents!

Latest posts

Back