Apogee AD-16 Mod???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrocruz

Hello, ive been googling for anything about any mod on Apogee Ad16 but no success... Maybe there aint...
But worth to try and ask you guys... Anyone?
Best Regards!
Pedro Cruz

those are pretty decent AD's, much better than cheaper range of apogee.. unless they changed their PSU to cheaper version...

i havent seen the schematic, but just guessing, its getting unbalanced before the AD chip ???
in this case unbalancing with a decent clean trx is way better than using other passive_IC etc elements.... but its expensive
16X~75=~1200USD  ;D

There are several problems with such a task.

1. Apogee don't hand out support documents... ever. I actually think the only people that have a schematic for it are apogee.
2. Have you ever flipped the lid on one?? eeeeep. Not a single through hole component anywhere...

kambo said:
i havent seen the schematic, but just guessing, its getting unbalanced before the AD chip ???

I don't get this. Is there a balanced process in the digital domain?

Once i called apogee, when i sent this unit there for repairing, in order to know if they had any returning option, like i would give mine AD-16 and money and they would send me the AD16X, of course too good to be true but this would depend on the money they would ask me of course. They said they dont have this option, (like all other brands) so i asked what are the diferences in AD16 and AD16x, and they said basically is a better PSU and the 777 clock chip on AD16X. No much diference besides that.
As Sammas said, once you pop the lid of, its all smds and everything is extremely tight, but psu is just normal, maybe this could be improved like they did to AD16x...
Although after all i think this unit sounds great already, im just curious if it could sound even better... 

sahib said:
kambo said:

I don't get this. Is there a balanced process in the digital domain?

i was talking in general  ;D
but, more in specific,
you need an input buffer, before signal hits the AD chip... this is where you can do your mod...

Err. I know that but your statement just did not make any sense. Perhaps you should have said that the problem was the fact that the inputs were unbalanced. If it is the case of course.

sorry, i think its my bad... just to clarify things;
Sahib " Is there a balanced process in the digital domain?"

were you talking about the actual inputs of "AD chip's" or audio buffer input/output ???

kambo said:
in this case unbalancing with a decent clean trx is way better than using other passive_IC etc elements.... but its expensive
16X~75=~1200USD  ;D

May be I got it all wrong but I don't think there is another way before a signal hits ADC.

Also I don't agree that unbalancing with tx is way better than active unless there is a specific need for galvanic isolation.

sahib said:
Also I don't agree that unbalancing with tx is way better than active unless there is a specific need for galvanic isolation.

technically may not be better spec... but
try one and hear  ;D

strangeandbouncy said:
  leave it alone! You would never be able to fit 16 trannies in 1u anyway. Sounds amazing as is. If you want better, buy a Prism.

end of.
      AndyP

totally  :)

Back