Thoughts on the Paia modular synth kit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Okay, I know we ahve some synth DIYers around here. I also know the general attitude toward Paia kits.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Paia 9700 series modular synth. It's an inexpensive way to get into modulars, and it's compatible with the John Blacet modules, which is a big bonus. I was thinking about going this route after I finish building my Fatman.

Thanks a lot, guys!

I tried both of them. The modular is not very well, the vocoder is only 4 bands so you can`t understand the words, usefull only for FX.
If you want a great modular in kit form try MOTM (www.synthtech.com) or Blacet (www.blacet.com)

Best Regards,

Synthi

I am actually only interested in getting the PCB only but I think on their web site it says
"Please note that these are only a circuit board. No parts, parts list, schematic or other instructions are included.Product manuals are available separately (see PAiA Parts Page). There are no email versions of any documentation.

So I guess I would need to pay $139 to see the schematic....

Yes oakley sound is great, He also have special parts kits.
Also you must check awesome modules from Ken Stone: cgs.synth.net

Well, my plan was to build the Paia as a starter and then add Blacet modules to it.

Thing is, I priced out a reasonable system from MOTM and Oakley and ended up in the $5-6000 price range. Way too high for me. PCBs might be a possibility though, except for that nasty exchange rate between the pound and the dollar right now.

I guess there's always the Gene Stopp ASM-1.

I have not tried the Vocoder, but below are links to mods for it. Might make it serviceable

http://www.paia.com/vocodmod.htm
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Paia/Vocoder/mods/paia.vocoder.mod.txt

I remember reading one a while back that must have used 2 of them to get more bands going, but could not find it again.

I made the Phat Man, and I think it's a pretty useful little synth. It's not as cool as some of the other stuff out there I guess, but I've used it several times for a bass sound, and it is thick and full. I've actually gotten my best synth bass sounds out of that little guy.

It's not modular, so it's not what you're looking for. I just thought I'd mention that I happen to like something Paia designed. :grin:

I already own the Fatman kit. I just need to put it together. :grin:

Really, I'm just trying to find the easiest way from here to there. I would love to have a nice MOTM system, but I simply cannot afford it.

Tye MOTM is expensive but worth it, the price is hi because the pots, knobs and jacks, all military specs. I have a MOTM basic system expanded with modules from Ken Stone and Oakley, using schaeffer for making panels in MOTM compatible style, very good loooking and not such expensive.

Synthi.

[quote author="smilinfu"]I have not tried the Vocoder, but below are links to mods for it. Might make it serviceable

http://www.paia.com/vocodmod.htm
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Paia/Vocoder/mods/paia.vocoder.mod.txt

I remember reading one a while back that must have used 2 of them to get more bands going, but could not find it again.[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I wanted to see the schematic to see what part he used for bandpass filter and the Q of it. Also, I wanted to see what VCA he used and how his envelope follwer works :green:

http://www.paia.com/vocodwrk.htm

The reason why I want to try this unit is because it seems to be complex enough to do what it meant to do but at the same time, it is simple enough for me to understand the concept.
I want to see if I can modularise the unit by parallel more boards to increase the number of bandpass filters and VCAs and may be implement a patch/switch capability to mix and match the filter envelope follower CV to trigger different carrier input frequency. So instead of hi freq trigger hi freq carrier input, you can use hi freq to trigger low freq carrier input etc.....

Would love to see the schematic of the MAM vocoder if anyone have the schematic for it :green:

Thanks! :thumb:
:sam:

Cool, thanks RF!

Like I said, my original plan was to boost the basic 9700 kit with some Blacet modules. Heck, I could build any number of other modules to go with it.

Think of the 9700 as being the rue for a gumbo. :green:

I've built a PAIA vocoder quite a while back--I agree with the assessment that it's better for effects than intelligible vocoding. I haven't tried the modification listed, but I added my own crossover EQ to bypass the high freqs around the vocoder to improve sibilant/fricative consonants and just feed the vocoder with it's operating range.

I also added an outboard compressor/noise gate before the modulation audio input, which greatly helped keep it in control.

--Bob

With those improvements you`ll gain stability for VCOs and VCF, but not "better" sound.
In synthesizers, the purest waveform or the more transparent filter is not the "better", they are musical instruments and the waves must sound musical, not pure. Thats why buchla gear sound awesome and looks bad in the scope.
Best Regards,

Synthi.

[quote author="RogerFoote"]I mean my old Paia 4700 sysytem would do at least one or two sounds that nothing else will do :)[/quote]
An acquaintance that knows I'm into audio electronics asked me if I can tune up their Paia 4700, but I'm not experienced with synths so I'm not sure what exactly is meant by tuning it. Any suggestions? I have a scope of course and can also do measurements with the soundcard etc., but my experience is in building and fixing amplifiers and DACs, not synths, so I need some pointers. Thanks.

Back