Pinch roller went soft and limp.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Never seen this happen before. The rubber part of the pinch roller on one of our 2 inch machines went from hard(normal texture) to  soft and squishy. I am trying to figure out ho it happened. My first thought as rubber cleaner but we don't have that anywhere near our machines. I  wonder  how it happened and if drying it out with isopropyl alcohol is possible?

any comments from the vets around these parts

Well, I think alcohol is the cause. I also made the mistake when I had an Otari, and cleaned the heads and roller for the first time. I'm sorry to say this, but you probably have to replace the roller. (well, that was the only option for me, and that roller was expensive)

I'm told the best way to clean the roller , is with water and a cottonstick (is cottonstick the right translation ?).

You could try Terry Wit. He's in the US. He can re-rubber for you. It's not expensive.

http://www.TerrysRubberRollers.com

Oh....BTW helterbelter..... 'Cotton bud' :)

Isopropyl alcohol is the standard cleaning fluid for pinch rollers and tape heads.

We had a spare 1/2" roller go in exactly the same way, and that had *never* been used. It was just sitting in the draw in the same plastic bag, in which Studer had supplied it.

Hi Pucho,

This happens to me on my 24 track, it was fine when I put it into storage, but two years later it was mush, sticky goo.

I had a new one made and the chap that made it said it had just broken down in terms of it's molecular structure.

But who knows...I Never cleaned with alcohol either I might add.

Pete

south2577 said:
You could try Terry Wit. He's in the US. He can re-rubber for you. It's not expensive.

http://www.TerrysRubberRollers.com

+1

I ordered one from him, top quality service!

jus happened to me also,

common thing,

vulvcanizing is the culprit, or lack thereof

tascam still sells the rollers,

it can be a real mess if you do not realize it until the tape is all coated also,

and it is the messiest stuff to clean off of all the parts,

> is cottonstick the right translation?
> Cotton bud!

In the USA, always "Q-tip".
170px-Q_Tips_plain_BG.jpg

Q-tip is a registered trademark of Unilever. RiteAid, ShopRite, WalMart must call them "cotton swabs", but use similar shape and color.
0007874212350_180X180.jpg

Us Cotton: Cotton Swabs, 750 Ct

Studers?

Terry Witt... Good he may be, but you're not a million miles away from Athan. George's product is held to be better, and it's all that I use, having tried Terry, T-Reds and others.

"Athan Corp".

Buy their pinch rollers.

Fit them.

Throw your old ones away... IMMEDIATELY. You'll damage the machine. If it's an Otari pinch-rollerless machine, you'll also destroy a good number of tapes.

I can't say this any more clearly...

DO.
NOT.
USE.
ALCOHOL.
ON.
THE.
PINCH.
ROLLERS.

Keith

Yeah they turn to goo when old.  You can hear the tape sticking too them wonder what THAT does for wow and flutter. LOL Actually I remember an old manual from the 80's stating that it is ok to clean with alcohol even tho it is bad for rubber. Cause the pinch rollers are cheap. LOL Old belts turn into goo too.

All that old stuff turns to goo even the tape. NEVER checked it out but is an expensive re-rubber job... Anyone try baking the roller in a dehydrater like an old tape? Dunno just thought I would throw it out there.

I think they bond new rubber on and grind it to the right size on a lathe. Not for sure tho I only did rubber bonded photographic rollers as a kid. But they were 6 feet long. And tons a day. The markup on tape deck rollers is extreme due to the limited market I bet. Took a while to grind a 6 foot long one tho. Some people fell asleep and the grinder hit the headstock LOL. Sometimes we would watch, wait and laugh. :) But 2 inches NP!

Toolpost grinder and slow lathe. Takes 2 minutes for 2 inches.

John

Alcohol hardens the rubber, it doesn't soften it - but for this reason you shouldn't use alcohol.

The turning to goo is a molecular breakdown that happens over time, unpredictable how long it can take, seems to happen with certain types of roller only though, they don't all do it.

Pinch rollers NEED to be replaced. That's a major wear item. Read your manual. And some tapes didn't get sticky and don't need baking either lol! I consider ALL that wear items. They take upkeep. Any transfers from 2 inch I send to go to Protools so I can mix I have to bake it first or they won't take it. Or charge for baking. (Old stuff) They don't care what formula. Cause it might stick to their decks. Don't blame them. Also would like nice rubber on the deck. Wouldn't you?

What about the band sending old 2 inch out? They have to know I know the deck it is going on won't stick it up or ruin it. Regardless of hardening or what. The heads are metal... They might bend the 2 edge tracks. The capstan rollers are rubber. Getting it yet? They should be from this century. Period. I don't care if ya put lipstick on them. As long as they are fairly new if I am dropping a job onto someones deck for work. 

John

Latest posts

Back