What is this disc?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddy G

Hi,
Can somebody tell me what this disc around the mic is all about?

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 95
gives the horn player a very early reflection of their sound--kinda like a floor monitor but cheap and easy

It also changes the directivity pattern of the mic. Since rear sounds now have to travel to the side of the mic, it changes the pick-up of rear sounds.  And as the front sound is reflected on the plate, it hits the rear of the mic out-of-phase, which creates some attenuation. Depending on the type of mic that it is used in conjunction with, it gives different results. It takes some experimentation to really master the use of these contraptions.

Abbey, I have never used one of these discs, but from what you say, does it perhaps create something of a wide-cardioid pattern from a cardioid mic?

from what i've read, the trade for increased directivity via this route is typically a decrease in spl handling before distortion.

This discs are used to attenuate the direct signal from trumpets to the audience! mainly the first rows. As trumpets can be really freakin loud this helps the foh-dude to "make" a well blended sound. Those discs help a lot an small/medium sized venues!

regards,
wolf

I usually used these in live years ago. Only on live and when I have problems in hearing my trumpet through monitoring system, in fact when I was in small locations with poor P.A and monitoring systems. My disc had to pieces with holes (two circles) than you can rotate to increase or decrease the holes and, in fact, take more of my own sound reflected to me or less. I never used it on studio. One problem with them is that they are only useful with some mics, the hole for the mic is a round one and you cant put in there a squared body mic or one that is not of propper diameter.

Arnau

Back