Tube mic cable from mouser?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

So im ordering a bunch of stuff from mouser for my mk47 tube microphone build. I was wondering if any of you know of a suitable cable for tube microphones from them?

Thanks!
/J

http://www.sommercable.com/2__produkte/2__030_meterware/2__200_0186.html

Sommer cable Sweden
Distribution Pro Audio
Arva Trading AB
Industrivägen 14
17148 Solna / Sweden
Phone +46 8 470 58 10
Fax +46 8 470 58 80

The thing is Mouser doesn't seem to sell cable by the meter... You would need to buy a full spool, which ruin the savings you may make by ordering from only one shop...

Axel

Has anyone found a good tube mic cable with a proper braided screen?

The mogami, gotham & somer all have one or two spiral screens.

It's more a cosmetic thing than functional, but I don't much like the way that spiral screens bunch up to form kinks and bumps after a few years of studio use and abuse.

This is the case for the Mogami and Gotham, which we have quite a lot of in our studio.

(I can't comment on the Sommer - I was sent a sample to try, but they only sent a meter so it didn't get used yet!)

I too have only experienced the Gotham and Mogami...

Apart Sommer, there seems to be another player in the game. Accusound. According to Oliver Archut,
it has been "modeled after the old EMT cable that was built to the specifications of the IRT and used in
broadcast applications throughout Europe"

Accusound says on their webshop that this cable has "Quad -Helix Copper Shielding System"

http://www.accusoundcablecompany.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_47&products_id=126

Quite expensive, but maybe worth a try...

Axel

I'm planning to use Canare Star Quad for mine, available pretty cheap at markertek. It's only five conductors, but I believe that would be enough, right?

If starquad works, i could raid my fathers work, and buy a couple of meters from him... hmm....

Perhaps not worth to skimp on cable tho, when the mic parts alone are like 1000$...  ;D

/j

I don't think it would be skimping. Each conductor (I believe) is 22 gauge copper. The shield is really excellent, and tightly braided.
And, as far as I understand, there's no reason to have more than 5 conductors anyway. Canare Star quad is really well made stuff. There are two versions, however. I would get the thicker version.

Anyway, I've used the gotham cable as well. It's fine, but I still think I'll use Star Quad for this project.

I've done a few tube mics with the Canare starquad.

If it has enough conductors for your design then it will work fine. Canare starquad is lovely cable IMO.

Has anybody has any experience with the gotham cable gac-4/1?

It seems elfa has it, and thats just a busride from me.
/J

Latest posts

Back