multiband splitter and combiner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not enthusiastic about any topology that divides up the passband for processing then re-assembles it. I will not argue in favor of any one approach, but would not summarily dismiss the SVF because of how it acts with both poles tuned exactly the same. For a practical division of the entire frequency range into 3 bandpasses I would probably spread them apart. I repeat I am not arguing in favor of this one approach, just that there may be a little more to the analysis.

I am just scatter shooting out different possible topologies that might be of interest for people to think about. They can't all be winners, and I wouldn't expect generic schematics to be usable without alteration.   

I recall the sound (ugh) of FM radio stations in the NYC market back in the 70's-80's when they experimented with not even very good loudspeaker crossovers (only 2 or 3 pole) in front of separate compressor/limiters, then summed their outputs back together. At least the later dedicated multi-band FM processors were a little kinder to the signal.

I recall several times being surprised by how different the vinyl sounded from the severely squashed radio versions we had first become accustomed to.

JR

Image showing recombination curves. Cyan is the recombined signal under no GR. Green is with 6dB GR on MID. Red is 6dB GR on HI.

Attachments

• state-variable recombination.jpg
    state-variable recombination.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 36
Back