Seek schematic for a reliable level indicator (VU or better)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentlevoice1

Hello  :)

I'll soon be using a reliable level indicator for making recordings with a digital recording system. By "reliable" I mean that it should clearly indicate when the 0 dB level has been reached (and also show the "trend", i.e. -12, -9, -6 etc. dBs).

Any of you know of a (simple) circuit that will do this?

Suggestions are appreciated (preferably hands-on, meaning that I may directly build the circuitry).

Greetings,

Jesper

There is no simple answer, since you've set the bar pretty high in asking "that it should clearly indicate when the 0 dB level has been reached". The fastest analog peak-meters show 100% peaks only after 3 iterations. Only digital peak-meters show them at the first occurence. It is relatively easy to build an LED peak-meter with 10msec attack time. Anything faster is more difficult.
I think you should start by doing an evaluation of existing meters and detremine which one gives you satisfaction.

..actually the most common definition of a digital over is three consecutive samples at 0dBFS, because a single or two-in-a row could indicate normal operation.

In real-life recording, standard ppm led-meters are all you need.

Do you have a special application, that makes avoidance of overs more necessary?

Jakob E.

Back