Igor Bypass Boards / Insert Switcher

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Igor mentions that his bypass boards can be used for this purpose, in other words, to patch in multiple pcs of gear as in a mastering setup.  Can anyone explain how these would be wired up in this situation?  The stereo audio has to run through the setup, and each pc of gear that is inserted (with a relay switch) would be active, but when bypassed it would simply pass through the unit.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sig

Does anyone suppose these can be wired up in series, and then whenever a piece of gear is plugged in, and the bypass button is engaged, it'll connect whatever's plugged in?

I have some coming, I'll do some experimenting!

Check my brilliant drawing done in paint.  ;D
insert.jpg

Siegfried Meier said:
Ummm, thanks?   :D

I don't think I can get anything out of this pic...

Hi,

here is a quickly done drawing of a relais circuit to insert a balanced signal into an audio path.See attached file.
This is the general thing how it works with relais-it is exactly what member dagoose has drawn to handle an unbalanced signal!
It really is the same as a bypass-circuit:Wether you switch an audio device into a path or not!
Just think of toggle-switches and that you can use them in both directions.
Sorry for showing it this way because i have no special program for that-it is done by hand with an old version of appleworks ;D
I have used the drawing of OMRON-relais (12v and 2 switches inside),seen from the bottom.
I am also working on a kind of insert/ms/mastering-box,and this is where I started:pretty simple,no?
Hope this gets a bit clearer to you now...

Best,

Udo.

Attachments

• Beschaltung Relais.cwk (ZE).pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
...and another one-this time without the dc,but the balanced audio in engaged mode (ON=ext. device is in the path) and not engaged mode (OFF=bypass).Have found it some minutes ago;it is leftover from when I began to fool arround with these relais ;)

Have fun,

Udo.

Attachments

• Signalflow on & off.cwk (ZE).pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
Siegfried Meier said:
Awesome thanks for the info!!

Keep me posted on your progress, I'll do the same!

Thanks,
Sig
Hi Sig,

here another leftover drawing showing a stereo 6 channel-insert circuit,passive with nothing but relais,based on the signalflow-diagram I posted before(...and therefore on dagooses fantastic paint-schemo ;D).
Modify it to your needs-it is really a fun project.
My box will not have 6 but 5 points in a block,selected by simple LORLIN switches.I am thinking of 3 blocks with 5 insertpoints each,first 2 blocks swapable,with ms-capabilities and a nice rtw peakmeter and correlator.

I can not go on with it at the moment because of working in my real job(preparing and rehearsing a musical so it will take some weeks...).

What I can do is taking pics of what I have done till now;say about weekend or so.It is only the relayboards and a selector-board with mentioned LORLINs and some nice leds to state which component is in the path.
And do not worry about chaining these insert-relais as they have only a contact-resistance of less than 100mOhms.You would have to chain 10 relays to reach 1 Ohm (in theory ....).

Best regards from germany,

Udo.

P.S.:Excuse my bad english-I am still learning ;)

Sig,
I am faster than I thought ;D and took the pics some minutes ago-hope it is inspiring you.
Just the two parts I mentioned,but hey-it is a start.
No signal wires yet (next to come and will be on the top of the boards),only the dc (control wires from the selector,all wired on the bottom sides of the relaisboards).

Hopefully some more fun for you.....

Best,

Udo.

Ooooops-I made a mistake two posts ago:
The max. contact resistance is 100mOhms,not 10 (but it is good enough for our purpuses :D)
Will edit it to correct values!
Udo.

Awesome thanks!  Lookin' great!

I have another question regarding doing a parallel compression circuit.  How can I implement this so it takes a feed off the main signal and allows you to feed in an external backbuss comp or reverb, like the M*nley does?  Those crush and blend circuits going around, would they work with an extra bypass board feeding another pair of outs, or is there a different way to do this?

Thanks,
Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
Awesome thanks!  Lookin' great!

I have another question regarding doing a parallel compression circuit.  How can I implement this so it takes a feed off the main signal and allows you to feed in an external backbuss comp or reverb, like the M*nley does?  Those crush and blend circuits going around, would they work with an extra bypass board feeding another pair of outs, or is there a different way to do this?

Thanks,
Sig

Hello Sig,

a crush and blend circuit can be seen as a 2 in 1 mixer and the pot is the balance of the inputs.
I think you can implement it to whatever you want-so you can add another relay-based switchboard-why not?

A long time ago I started to build a proto right after the schemo of keith (ssl-tech).
If you want to build it look/search for the corrected one (pinouts corrected,feedback-loop and some caps).
I did 4 channels (or 2 stereo) on a 10 x 10 cm board and it works pretty well.
Will finish it some day as an external device with 4 or even 8 channels-do not know yet.
It will be used in live-situations because I am really a big fan of parallel-compression and therefore will be saving a lot of mixer channels ;).

Here the pics of my working proto:

Cheers,

Udo

Back