this is why you line you mic boxes with silk

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

here we have an original c12.  Where it came from is not important.  Note how the foam has broken off and is stuck on the grill and body. Lucky the capsule was virtually untouched. An easy clean off job but still should not have happened. More over the mic has been sitting  unused for a couple of months which would explain why all of a sudden, "take a look at this, pucho. WTF?"

Attachments

• c121.jpg
    c121.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 171
I've seen this kind of thing before, nasty business.  Various foams break down in weird and wonderful ways so every mic has to be in a little plastic baggy for me.

Good luck cleaning it up and make sure the cleaning agent doesn't do more harm than good!

Cheers,
Ruairi

Seems to be a threshold where some foam just disintegrates
A friend was mad at me for relining their Sony mic case
cause i destroyed the value , but the foam was no longer there
almost disolved to touch and broke down so small it got everywhere

"If there is one thing I have learned here its to invest in a bunch of freezer zip lock bags and dissectent" Some people say that if you are not very careful when you let the air out there is a danger of destroying the capsule.

Seems to be that many foam products made in the 80-ties tend to desintegrate with time because of
wrong softmaker formulas. Loudspeaker cone surrounds sometime suffer from this too...

The air pressure question is also interesting, what about flying? The difference in air pressure inair/onground is enough
to give me serious ear problems.

ubxf said:
"If there is one thing I have learned here its to invest in a bunch of freezer zip lock bags and dissectent" Some people say that if you are not very careful when you let the air out there is a danger of destroying the capsule.

Always punch few holes on the bag to allow the item inside to breath and place a bag of silica gell to asborbe the moisture.

hmmm, now that i think about it, what about those cubed foam ABS plastic cases that are normally Humid/Water Proof etc..., efficient?
Or even worse with time?
Such as this:
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=293&o=&offset=2&c=125&s=81

Could be better adapted to those rare and expensive Mics out there, why not spend a couple of 100's for the right thing (if it is) just a tought...

OR whatever you choose, get yourself some Ziplocks  ;D ;D

I had posted about a newer foam before, ETHAFOAM.

It is not a "soft" foam, but I redid my mic case with it. It seems like it will never breakdown or shed. Also, since it's a little more rigid, you can cut it nicely with a sharp X-Acto blade to custom fit your mics. I got my Ethafoam from computer server shipping boxes here at work.

I'm curious if anyone else has experiences with it?

http://www.qualityfoam.com/ethafoam-faq.asp#faq9

ethafoam.jpg

The antistatic amine additive in Ethafoam makes me a little concerned for using it as a long-term storage option.  The devil is always in the details, and your link doesn't mention what specific amine is used for antistat, but different amines (ethoxylated, non ethoxylated, aromatic, aliphatic) have different levels of reactivities and different Kb values (i.e., pH).  Most amines that would be used for antistat have boiling points in the 180-220C range, meaning that there will be enough vapor pressure to to have a non-zero amine vapor concentration capable of condensing on your mics.  Amine-free antistatic bags are marketed for storage of sensitive electronic equipment.  Amines will react with some plastics, most notably polycarbonate.  It's conceivable to me that there is a slight chance that the amine might be able to get to the adhesion promoter between the gold and the PET membrane and speed up the delamination of the gold from the capsule.  Possibly worse, is that condensing amine on the high impedance parts of the mic may cause leakage paths to ground (on both capsules and PC boards).  This is actually what the additive is designed to do, for static dissipative purposes.  Here's the possible scenario:  The amine vaporizes in the mic case, it condenses on the capsule/PCB, and attracts a monolayer of moisture to those surfaces, reducing the impedance of these sections from gigaohms to megaohms.  The same caution would apply to storing your mics in antistatic bags with amine based antistats.

I don't want to sound like I'm overselling the dangers of using Ethafoam or antistatic bags.  This is just a possible scenario, one that might be way less damaging than using an alternative foam that outgasses and decomposes.  My speculation is a nice thought experiment, but a call to Dow chemical might get a definitive answer.  If you contact them, make sure they understand about the ultra high impedance circuitry used in microphones, and that 10^6 to 10^10 ohm/sq might be too much of a leakage path for this circuit.

-Chris

Emperor,

But here's the rub: I'm not sure if the Ethafoam I have has the antistatic amine additive! The way I read it, only certain models have it:

"Antistatic product versions are available in the product lines of ETHAFOAM polyolefin foams."

So is the non-amine version ideal for mics???

>>>So is the non-amine version ideal for mics???

Could be.  My only concern was with the amine.  A meter capable of measuring >1 gig or a pH test strip could help identify which type you have.  Breathe on the foam to moisten it and Rub a pH strip on it and see if the pH is above 8.  That will confirm if it's amine based or not.

Some microphones use the urethane foam for pop filters and in particular acoustic resistance elements... I use pure silk on mine.

Les
L M Watts Technology

Back