How best to handle multiple line level outputs on stage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hi guys,
I'm hoping to get some advice.  I'm using an Echo Audiofire12 in a live band setting.  It has 12 line level 1/4" balanced outputs.  I'm using Ableton, and sending out three stereo pairs that I want to go to the mains.  When we bring along our own board, I just have a 10' balanced 1/4" snake and run straight into the board line level ins. 

We are running into difficulty at venues with their own PA because it's a different setup than most.  I guess most bands don't have a bunch of line level stuff on stage they need to feed to the house.  What do you think is the best way to handle this?  I've been asking for 6 DIs to use for the computer, but that generally just gets frustrated looks from the soundman.

Any tips?

I guess part of my confusion is that with DIs, I'm just knocking that signal down to a mic level just to be reamplified, so it seems like I'd be degrading the signal more?

In most venues, the line inputs are not even wired, therefore you will need to knock down your signal, just to be reamplified...

On the other hand, your Audiofire12 has impedance balanced outs (cold tied to the ground via a resistor), and its ability to drive long lines may not be the reason why you bought it... Trading some voltage for current with step-down transformers could be a sensible option.

Axel

I'd say, DIY your own 6 channel DI. 
JLM kits are about as easy as it gets.  Or you can just go for some inexpensive passive ones.  I'd recommend Radial. :)

I used to have a 2U rack box with 8 DI's.  We carried our own monitors and a ton of effects.  "Mic the drums & everything else plugs in right here."  Sound men loved it.  It's hard enough to get 1 DI out of most clubs much less 6.

Butterylicious said:
"Mic the drums & everything else plugs in right here." 

That's what I'm talking about right there.  I've now got all my vocal channel effects running through the computer and through the line out. 

Latest posts

Back