the word " Dude " being called it or using the word

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you take this as a negative or positive term

• I'm insulted when people call me this

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I call people this to insult them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It makes me feel like my people

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I bond with people this way

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Dude , why'd you bring that up

Votes: 24 60.0%

• Total voters

okgb

There was an L.A. band  [ i think ] called the scatterbrains
kind of a less serious , more versitile version of the chilli peppers
[ that's probably insulting to them  ]
they had a song , Don't call me Dude

Of course maybe we could all join a dude ranch
or make the E silent .

Have any personal dude stories ?
A woman i went out with would call people dude with just
the right amount of cut , that I'd KNOW if i ever crossed the line

It's all in the context, same for bro. Probably has different meaning dependent on age of speaker. 

15 years a go living in Santa Rosa California, like, everybody was, like, a dude.

It was called around everywhere all the time, like, hella.

That dude where's my car movie felt like a true story about our posse back then. I mean everybody does sound like they have slightly lower IQ than they actually do when talking like that.

Didn't know there were any negative connotations for the word. But then, 15 years is a long time.

"Dude" i don't mind. Kinda seems like a young person's expression.
"Pal, boss, chum"...i don't mind.

What kind of gets on my nerves, is when i get called "buddy"...unless it by someone that i personally know.
It's like a condescending term used out of insecurity. Disrespectful on purpose...."buddy".

In London, I frequently enjoy the ambiguity over how much irony is intended when the word 'dude' is being used, although it is rarely said with any sincerity!  :)

Generally I think, these days, there is a certain amount of gentle humour assumed on the part of the sayer - certainly nobody ever seems to genuinely take offence.

The exclamation, 'Dude!', is usually made as a sign of approval towards an action or achievement that could be seen as an enviable one.

Whereas 'Hey, Dude!' almost always implies a certain degree of affable self-effacement.

But this is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain, where if anybody really thinks they are a dude, they will generally be in quite considerable trouble.

Because we aren't allowed dudes here.  ;D

I find it impersonal at best ,
along with buddy & guy , but
now if someone calls you Buddy Guy
that maybe a different story ,
then there's the Newfoundland
Buddywhatshisname

I hate buddy, guy, champ, sport, chief, etc....I really don't find dude or bro to fall into the same category, but I am a snow/skate/wakeboarder...

I don't take it bad or good.  I use it when I forget names and I can be bad with names. Sometimes I call people Son, but is when the usually younger then me....

dood is perfectly acceptable to me.

I say it all the time. I was surprised one day when I said it to my father-in-law, who is a 60s hippie-type guy, was really offended and told my wife to tell me not to call him that!

I think for a certain period of time it had a bad connotation.

Where's my car...Dude?

JR

PS: Yes, "dude" used in some contexts refers to the wanna-be pretender cowboy as was found on "dude ranches".  I personally use it more often as a friendly vague appellation with people I know, but there is third variant as in  "dude..?", where we are reacting to some questionable behavior as perhaps being dude-like.

The Dude.

the-dude.jpg

Better than Hey, you !

Dood ....................doodie ?  cycle

the cowboy connotation is another one

Very pronounciation dependant as well
how many ways can you spell dude ?

it does matter who says it to you. I grew up at the beach so all my friends still use it, but not professionally.

I do remember commenting to my friend, who grew up in Malibu Ca, that all his friends sounded too Valley girlish. "Like" and "Dude" etc... but he told me that valley girl came from girls coming over to malibu for the summer and picking up the lingo, sort of. like jersey shore vs NYC.

All those filler words.....if you don't use any you sound too up tight if you use too many your sound too stupid - plus no one knows what they really mean, so I try not to take offense to any of them but sometimes I've heard the word dude or man and thought it almost sounded like an insult. haha
Oh well man! :)
in my mind there is only one REAL dude, The Dude! and his white Russians!

Oh, yeah
Don't get me started on kids making up words
and having No Diction
Ugh , knuckles hurt
only know one word 5 meanings

Latest posts

Back