Auratone DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomS said:
Here it is finished!
Very cool. Got my drivers and MDF yesterday so will be building over the weekend. I’m a bit concerned about sanding the sharp edges of the MDF as I’ve never sanded MDF before. Otherwise feeling confident and excited. (I’m thinking maybe glossy pink paint as a finishing touch.)

wjmwpg said:
Very cool. Got my drivers and MDF yesterday so will be building over the weekend. I’m a bit concerned about sanding the sharp edges of the MDF as I’ve never sanded MDF before. Otherwise feeling confident and excited. (I’m thinking maybe glossy pink paint as a finishing touch.)

The sanding wasn't that hard at all, I just eyeballed it. Good luck, would love to see your result too! Glossy pink sounds sick haha!

TomS said:
The sanding wasn't that hard at all, I just eyeballed it. Good luck, would love to see your result too! Glossy pink sounds sick haha!
I finished them last night! My amp is arriving today so I have yet to test them, but I think the build went well. Sadly I opted for white because I already had a can of white cabinet (melamine) paint in the closet. (With COVID surging where I am I decided not to risk an unnecessary trip to the store just for pink paint.) Anyhoo, here are some pics. I’ll post another update once I actually get to hear them.

Attachments

• C62EE5DD-3F4A-4704-B7EA-7AAC686B9931.jpeg
    C62EE5DD-3F4A-4704-B7EA-7AAC686B9931.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
Set up, hooked up and being used. Couldn’t be happier with it. Big thanks to TomS for posting his build plans and locating this Monacor SP4/60Pro driver.

It integrates so well with my FPX7+sub setup. When I flip back and forth between the two it’s uncanny how the centre mids don’t change. The stereo collapses, the top and bottom end recede, but there’s no discernible difference in the mids at all. It does exactly what I wanted it to do.

I’ll build a better stand option when the outside is warm and less COVIDy, but here it is now in my setup.

Attachments

• 7F2E2657-5944-415F-985B-802CD068C6BB.jpeg
    7F2E2657-5944-415F-985B-802CD068C6BB.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 87
Whoops said:
Is that a touchscreen after you keyboard?

If so that looks pretty nice
No, it’s just a normal monitor under glass. I’ve thought about putting a touchscreen there but am worried it would get destroyed.

Whoops said:
Hi all,
if someone wants to build this project with drivers used originally by Auratone I have 3 driver models for sale that Auratone used in their 5C speakers.

2x CTS square magnets and 1x Pioneer A11EC80-02F

PM me if interested

UmMLJ88.jpg

J6CN4Ix.jpg

PM’d you

This will most likely be my last addition to this forum, I measured the  Monacor SP-4/60PRO Auratone attached is the frequency response 420hz is the lowest I could go since I couldn't measure outside or in an anechoic chamber.

The microphone I used to measure is the almost completely flat Line Audio OM1.

Attachments

• Diy Auratone Measuremeant.png
    Diy Auratone Measuremeant.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 45

Attachments

• DSC_2238.jpeg
    DSC_2238.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Auracube Measurement.png
    Auracube Measurement.png
    351.4 KB · Views: 30
Hello everyone,
I'm a woodworker nowadays, so cab construction for an Auratone or anything else is second nature.

My curiosity: since the Maplin I69aw is no longer available, would any of the following drivers fit the requirement?

•Dayton Audio PA130-8 [5"]
•Lepai LP40PA
•Monacor SP-8/4SQS
•Visaton FR12 8
•Visaton FR13 [4.5"]
•Audax 13LB25AL

I have a good old Crown pre & power amp, but am short of space and keen to source suitable pre-built mini-amps that could be used to build non-vented active monitors [i.e. powered Auraclones], too.

Thanks!
Rowboat

Hello everyone,
I'm a woodworker nowadays, so cab construction for an Auratone or anything else is second nature.

My curiosity: since the Maplin I69aw is no longer available, would any of the following drivers fit the requirement?

•Dayton Audio PA130-8 [5"]
•Lepai LP40PA
•Monacor SP-8/4SQS
•Visaton FR12 8
•Visaton FR13 [4.5"]
•Audax 13LB25AL

I have a good old Crown pre & power amp, but am short of space and keen to source suitable pre-built mini-amps that could be used to build non-vented active monitors [i.e. powered Auraclones], too.

Thanks!
Rowboat
I used the Celestron 5inch TF0510 for my 3D printed solution. It was a reasonable match to the original Maplin version

I used the Celestron 5inch TF0510 for my 3D printed solution. It was a reasonable match to the original Maplin version
I checked that driver as soon as I'd read your earlier post; however, Celestion shows the TF0510 as a bass/mid driver (it's capped at 8k), not a true full-range.

Last edited:
The original Auratone 5C also peaked at 7kHz and rolled off pretty quickly after that. The measurements I made of mine with the Celestron also showed that roll off. The reason I picked the Celestron was that it's speaker parameters were similar to the original Maplin speaker. Other speakers I looked at had very different parameters and as a result the cabinet would be a very different size/character.

I haven't - yet - chosen any. I'm curious to learn whether other builders have tried one or more of those I listed in a Horrortone-sized box.

By playing the the calculator, you soon discover that a lot of speakers are not going to give you the smooth bass roll-off in an Auratone sized box. When I looked at a few other speakers, you end up needing box sizes of significantly large volumes (eg 73 litres in one case!).

Back