What if they would make... (scope: semiconductors)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

As a just for fun exercise: despite the healthy preference
for high voltage rails & discrete stuff over here, what are the (not too esoteric)
items one would like to see becoming available from todays semiconductor-companies ?

For instance THAT Corp with their audio-aimed portfolio will be pretty much in line
with the desires over here but some simple & 'more generic' stuff made in
todays processes (read: low voltage CMOS) could come in handy as well I figure.

This is not about reviving old Toshiba bipolar types or big mixed-signal chips
or codecs, but some simple amplification stages instead of full opamps, step-attenuators,
or even an one-chip integrated analog synth could be ideas.

Any ideas ? Wishlist ? Just wondering...

Have a good weekend,

Peter

Hi Peter,

the first thing that comes to my mind would be a panning IC. That would also fit in with THAT's other products I guess,
precision trimmed resistors and a few opamps all in one 8-pinner. External resistor or CV to control the thing. Or way better,
digital control as with their latest mic preamp. I'd buy a few ;D.

Oh, it's weekend again. Nice.

Volker

volker said:
Hi Peter,

the first thing that comes to my mind would be a panning IC. That would also fit in with THAT's other products I guess,
precision trimmed resistors and a few opamps all in one 8-pinner. External resistor or CV to control the thing. Or way better,

Volker

Hi Volker,

Stepped panning no problem for low-voltage CMOS, and depending on required performance CV-controlled fine as well. The THAT processes will be more suited though, but that doesn't mean that nice things couldn't be done in low-voltage CMOS.

Ah weekend yes, let's start ! ;-)

Peter

gyraf said:
I would like to see an analogue computer - preferably in some sort of a neural-network implementation...

Jakob E.

Analog synth, analog computer, function generator... could all be bondout-variations on the same chip  ;)

Bye,

Peter

Speaking of the Korg Monotron, the 'fear' of modders worldwide was that they had integrated it.
It's not, all discrete, but (and ignoring the no-longer-discrete-so-it's-no-good-sentiment) some way in between could have been nice: the one-chip synth being a collection of building blocks, to be linked and controlled by simple external passive components.

They might have something like that in the works probably, although to warrant this I'm curious to the actual numbers they sell, even of a(-n assumed) sales-hit like this.

Bye

JohnRoberts said:
How about a $2 micro with 20bit codec, DSP instruction set, and 1M ram built in ?

JR

Could certainly be something of use, but also a bit digital-heavy for this exercise (I know you're more into that now these days)

Bye - & keep them coming!

there are some cellphone chipsets getting close but short of several aspects...

I'm an old analog dog, it just doesn't seem to make as much sense these days...

JR

volker said:
Hi Peter,

Volker
I made almost the same suggestion to them about 10 years ago. They told me they thought the market for large mixing consoles was gone...

For a stepped panner a little reworking/rearranging of this IC will do I think. I had a quick look if the panning functionality could already be realized by smart use of the half-supply pin (SVR), but it didn't fell into place so far.

mgk363.gif

This was in an older CMOS-process (for 5V supply), so a little bit more headroom, but not enough for the area that THAT did(n't) want to cover.

Bye 

Back