Gotta love google! Found MS circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have built 3 of these last weekend.
Waiting for enclosures at the moment,2 will be in a kind of mastering-box I am working on,1 will be an external unit.
Have checked them on my workbench-awesome!!!
Ordered them including the THATs-ICs because they are unbelievable expensive here in germany when you only need a handfull or singles-therefore even a pricebreaker for me :).

Absolutely highly recommended!

Best,

Udo.

I was sent the power supply schematic and have a question on it.  I notice there is NO transformer on the schematic they sent.  Is this correct?  (what PS are you guys using?)

They probably just omitted it for the sake of simplicity....IT is very dangerous and illegal in most countries to use a linear power supply that ties directly to the mains.

Well, no one is born knowing these things. And its always better to ask then to make a simple (deadly) mistake, especially with mains!

Ive been loocking for a width control for my sb4000 (next gen gssl)
This looks like wat im lookin for!
Anyone had any results yet. Probably get one this week!!!

lol  funny you should mention that.  I got an sb4000 coming in really soon.  ;D

Im working on a beast of a 2bus that i was originally going to put it in.  But then i got to thinking if i had all 3 units separate, i could play with the chain a bit more.  The MS has REALLY nice options for pre-post inserts.

I figure i would go into the 2bus then play with the MS into the SB or the SB into the MS.  Gotta go by the ears on that.  Either way should rock!

yeah man, i want it to be a control pot on the front of the SB4000 at the end of the signal chain to add a nice little extra on an already siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick compressor.
Is this possible with the m/s board you bought?
if so ill get one now

The board from pics ive seen is kinda small so it probably would fit.  I havent received it yet (just got ordered today)
From the site looks like you can insert switches and a pot into the works.

What are the PS specs for the SB4000?  if its not +-15 to +- 18V 40mA you might need a different PS.

some images someone posted on the other site

ms1.jpg

ms2.jpg

sheadstedford said:
This is just taking a stereo signal right? And out putting a stereo signal?

Hi,

hmmmm...not exactly,I´ll try to explain:

The board has two circiuts on it.
Do you see that there are 8 XLRs on the back (4xfm,4xm)?
The first located on the left side is the encoder.
Plug in a stereo (L&R) signal here and get the Mid/Side on its outputs then.
Now you go to your signal processors like eq,compressors or what ever you want.
From the now processed outputs you go back to the second part of the pcb,the decoder.This part converts the MS-signal back to a stereo (L&R) signal-voila!

Here a rough drawing for better understanding(see att. file)

Udo.

Attachments

• Sig.-Flow MS.sheadstedford.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 29
sr1200 said:
You CAN jumper the encoder and decoder together so that you get stereo in/out.  (from what i understand in the assembly guide)
And where will you insert the audio processing then?

No,the jumpers are meant for other purpuses.There are none to connect directly the encoder O/Ps to the decoder I/Ps on board as it would not make sense to convert a stereo signal to ms and then directly back from ms to stereo without having done anything or processed the ms signals.This would be like just a piece of wire with a lot of electronics doing nothing (except of adding noise/degrading the signal) in it-not usefull ::)

The jumpers are located at several points in the path of both circuits.Here you can interrupt the chains,pick up signals or insert what you want.They are meant for giving the circiuts a higher flexibility.Creating a bypass or muting the mid and side seperately are good examples.

I have built 3 of them and looking at the schemo the jumper points are as follows:

In the encoder section:
Points "B" are between de-balancing amps(U1+2) and the matrix encoder(U3+4)
Points "C" are between matrix encoder and balancing amps(U5+6).

In the decoder section:
Points "F" are between de-balancing amps(U7+8) and the matrix decoder(U10+11)
Points "G" are between matrix decoder and the "-6dB" circuit (NE5532,U9),followed by the corresponding balancing amps(U12+13).

I have marked them for you in red.Please look here:

There are no other jumper points on  board,only the 4 Ins and 4 Outs and psu connector!
The other pads close to the jumpers can be used for grounding.

Hope to have helped,

best regards,

Udo.

Learn something new everyday.
Guess it works different than M-S Mic technique?  With that I just adjust the balance (level) between the M and the S to adjust the spread.  No compression or EQ or anything.
Is it possible just to put level adjustments in between to do that?
http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=262
EDIT: If I understand your question correctly, no. Take a look above. The bottom-most rows are Ground. The jumpers link vertically from insert send to insert return. To disable them just remove the jumper or store it on one pin.

Look at BL and BR for example. That's point B on the block diagram for Left and Right.

MS_Matrix_Pad_Detail.jpg

The top row of pads on BL are the Left Insert Send Out.
The middle row of pads on BL are Left Insert In. (It leaves the picture to the right.)
(There are two sets of pads for each input and output.)

Point B is Encode Left and Right Out Post-Line Receiver.
Point C is Encode MS Out.
Point F is Decode MS Out Post-Line Receiver. (Single-ended Decode Input or location for buffered MS ratio trims.)
Point G is Decode Left and Right Out Pre -6dB Active Attenuator and Line Driver.

The "Precision" bypass mode jumps from C insert send to F insert return.

Back