dbx 165 distortion?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumsolly

I just got a dbx 165 from a radio station, and although I like it pretty well, it will distort very easily when the attack and/or release is set too fast, and too fast in most cases is around 50% of the fastest setting - essentially, on a lot of sources, it will distort if either control is set in the first half of its throw. I do not have this problem on the auto setting at all. Also, the release, even when set to the slowest, still seems quite fast. I was wondering if this is standard behavior for a 165 or if mine is out of spec. There is no mention of a calibration procedure in the manual.

Thanks, Ben

I have a 165A, but I so rarely take it off auto mode that I haven't seen how early it distorts.  Occasionally I'll put it on the fastest settings and use it like a fuzz box, but I don't recall it distorting as early as you're describing.  Granted, mine has been recapped and I've replaced most of the opamps.

Calibration procedure:
http://www.dbxpro.com/product_downloads/Calibration_Procedure/165%20Calibration%20Procedure.pdf

EDIT:  Corrected link

Back