Food poisoning, or maybe GI flu

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

Well, this was a week. Monday night took my sweetheart out for Valentine's Day dinner at my favorite Thai place. Tuesday morning, 7:15 am, woke up sick as a dog and exploding from both ends. Spent the next few days alternating between bed and the john. Didn't have a real meal again until Saturday night. Still feel kind of weak, and don't want to see Chicken Pad Thai again for a good long time.

Still trying to decide what I had. My buddy who ran sound for us at tonight's gig (which I played sitting down start-to-finish) had the same thing two weeks ago, and he says two other people in our crowd have had it in the last month. There can't be that much bad chicken in town. Or can there? Valentine's Day, of course, was a very busy night at the restaurant, and under those circumstances sometimes corners get cut. And there were bean sprouts in the dish, which have a bad reputation -- but Rebecca had Pad Thai and sprouts too, only hers had tofu instead of chicken.

So maybe I got a virus at the dance the night before (I had several cookies from a shared bowl), or maybe I got shigella or salmonella or something from the Pad Thai. In any case, on Valentine's Day next year I'm cooking, and it'll be a veggie stir-fry. No sprouts, no tofu.

Peace,
Paul

Sounds like a dose of norovirus. It's not a fun thing  :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

After a couple of bad experiences, I now avoid anywhere that serves buffet-style food, where it is kept warm and exposed. But you can get it from contact with people, and airborne as well as food.

Laid me out for about 5 days last time around.

Anyway, I'm glad you're on the mend.

Sounds like virus and not poisoning.  Food poisoning hits within 3 hours, and in my personal experience, I can look back and usually remember a taste that was not right.  English muffin/rancid butter and "I'm not gonna wash those chicken legs" did not have a taste but some bad wheat germ and totally off "irish moss" drink warned me and I did not listen.
Now I have successfully stopped some identified "something did not taste right" poisoning bouts with immediate follow-up vodka preventatives (2-6 oz). 
Virus, you have to just bear that.  No meds or vodker can help that.
Feel better,
Mike

GI bug has been going around here in CT. Several construction workers from a job I am on, including myself, have all had symptoms of varying severity. Some were out for a couple days.

Thanks, folks, for the sympathy and support. I'm happy to say that things are more-or-less back to normal, and now I just need to catch up on all the work I missed while horizontal.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back