Send'N'Blend (Standalone 4 Channel/Stereo) Mix/Blend Design (Now Available)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckus328

Figured this was probably a good time to show everyone, I present to you the Send'N'Blend (thanks to dandeurloo for the name).  This is a colaboration with him (who will be doing cases/front panels - hopefully he can post up some pics of the faceplate design).  Now you can add a mix/blend feature to ANY unit.  Big thanks to Keith for the original circuit.

Highlights:
4 Channels of Blend Control / Stereo Links for Channels 1&2 / 3&4
THAT 1246/1646 Debalancing/Balancing
True bypass built in (Options for 2 different sized relays)
External Power Supply will be included (+/-18V & +12V for relays/led's)
Simple, easy to build, nice short audio paths

Will be prototyping in the next couple of weeks, metalwork is already here, boards will likely be available sometime next month.  I'm also going to be prototyping a ribbon cable based front panel control board and db25 rear panel board, which if it works as planned (i.e. no noise) will eliminate virtually all wiring in this thing (cuz I hates me some wiring) - just 4 ribbon cables and your XLR pin 1 wires and you're done.  The option to use individual connectors (as shown below) will stay either way though so you guys can wire it up however you like.

Send%27N%27Blend.jpg

Hey guys these are gonna be very handy!  The case will have the db25 cut outs and all the need cutouts on the back panel.  Here is what the front panel will look like.  Great work Mike.

1_space_faceplate_SnB2.jpg

What are you guys planning to use these for, exactly?  I'm not sure I get the utility or planned use... parallel compression, adding fx... huh?  ... please clarify. Clearly it's a major effort in design and congrats to all.  Definitely good job to you guys for designing... But what is your intended application, exactly?  I must be missing something.  

And all the "looks sexy" comments?  Wha''?!   ::)   You need to get out more often.    ;)  :D

kante1603 said:
tommypiper said:
But what is the intended application, exactly?  I must be missing something.  

I definetely love to have parallel compression on a lot of things
....Until now I have to use 2 channels on my desks,so this will help me saving a lot of them.

best regards from germany,

Udo.

Yes, I understand.  I mentioned parallel compression as a sample application.  But why do we need a separate mix/bland box for that?  When we can do it in a mixer...  

WHat is this thing's raison d'etre?

tchuss  :)

tommypiper said:
What are you guys planning to use these for, exactly?  I'm not sure I get the utility or planned use... parallel compression, adding fx... huh?  I don't see the need for all this trouble... please clarify. Clearly it's a major effort in design and congrats to all.  Definitely good job to you guys for designing... But what is the intended application, exactly?  I must be missing something.  

Parallel FX, Dynamics, EQ processing.  Four channels of it + the stereo linking feature makes it a nice tool to have around the studio.  You could parallel compress your Snare/Kick/Bass/Toms all separately too!  ;D
If you're an ITB guy and use outboard processing via hardware inserts, like me, having a unit like this can make your life a lot easier since you don't have to worry about phase alignment caused by all the laggy bits of your "digital signal chain".  Not to mention the direct hands-on control it provides.  The more knobs and buttons, the better... at least that's what the geek inside of me is saying... ;)

tommypiper said:
And all the "looks sexy" comments?  Wha''?!   ::)  Come one, guys.  You need to get out more often.    ;)  :D
You're right, I need a life... I just can't help it!  This darn forum is like a drug. ::) :-\ ;)

Mikefatom - I don't think I could explain it any better than you already did.

This gets requested all the time as a feature/add on for the GSSL & SB4000, and I hear people often wish they had it on an 1176, LA2A, LA3A, etc.  Now you can have it on anything.  And with the stereo link, you could do, for example:

2 Stereo Units (ie: GSSL/SB4000 & Stereo Pultec)
1 Stereo Unit and 2 Mono Units (ie: GSSL/SB4000 & 1176 & LA2A)
Or 4 Mono Units (ie: 1176 & LA2A & LA3A & Pultec)

Tommy - this might not be for everyone, if you're happier doing it all ITB then of course this probably wouldn't be of much use to you.  Why active? - well, why not?  Not everyone likes iron in thier audio path, and this was intended to be very transparent (THAT chips on input and output, one opamp (OPA2604, 5532, etc.), and one cap in the audio path.  If you wanted color you could of course slap some transformers on the outputs if you'd like.

Dagoose - I don't like to post preliminary schematics until things are finalized, but the heart of it is very similar to SSLtech's & Livingnote's CnB schematics, same basic concept, just with the bypass and stereo link added and a little value tweaking.

Looks great ruckus! I might have to get one of these... and I know a few friends who have been asking for exactly this also.

Are you planning on using pots or rotary switches for the wet/dry controls?

Do people find the tracking to be acceptable when using ganged pots for stereo in this application?

I have been doing a number of mixes on a 16 channel Neve/API hybrid mixer and these are gonna be perfect for a number of things.  Parallel compression but I am also excited to use it for reverbs and try it out on eq's.  That is why we decide to call it Send n Blend.  Basically you can send it to anything and blend it in.  Should be very handy to have a few of these around.

This looks awsome!
another massive achievment for Ruckus!

Any developement for the sb4000 s'n'b mod? really wanna put it in my SB4000 instead of a stand alone unit.

dandeurloo said:
I have been doing a number of mixes on a 16 channel Neve/API hybrid mixer and these are gonna be perfect for a number of things.  Parallel compression but I am also excited to use it for reverbs and try it out on eq's.  That is why we decide to call it Send n Blend.  Basically you can send it to anything and blend it in.  Should be very handy to have a few of these around.

too right

It's looking fantastic, again. Ruckus, you rock...... us !

few questions :
looking at the picture, it looks like it can be cut in 2x 2 channel boards without much hassle. Am I correct ?
And what will the size be ? (of a 2 channel part I mean)

I've been waiting for a while for a balanced CnB / CnB.

Back