Collet knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

Does anyone have any experience with using 1/8" collet knobs (Sifam) on 1/8" D-shaped rotary switch shafts (Grayhill)?  Do they "grip" well enough?
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

I have some old Fairchild 664 EQs and that is what is on those and they are quite solid. And these are pretty tough stepped switches (freq select & boots/ct).

Sylvain

I've often wondered this with any pot shaft with a D-type profile. Some of the Sifams I've got fit fine, and others are just that little bit too loose.

Wish that there was a plastic/alu strip avaialble that you can cut to length and glue to the flat edge, that then makes the missing profile up so that the shaft is now round!

solderspongebob said:
Wish that there was a plastic/alu strip avaialble that you can cut to length and glue to the flat edge, that then makes the missing profile up so that the shaft is now round!

Not a fun job, but a bit of time with a file and some aluminium stock would probably get you close...  :D

pain in the butt! I just did this yesterday using a small sanding wheel in my dremel. So easy to go a bit too far when you are working on different pots (plastic, metal), and find the collet knob unable to grip (particularly for cheaper alpha rotary switches).

One that I am hoping to salvage by wrapping in plumbing thread tape before jamming the sifam collet knob on the top.

Mac

ELMA 10mm wing-knobs fitting pretty well on 1/8' shaft Grayhill switches.
We cutting the shafts for the length we need with Dremel tool,
the trick here is to work at maximum speed without applying any force, and use thin cutting weel.
Switch should be grip in a vice (?) this is how Google translates it from RU :)
Wear glasses and be careful.
After breaking some cutting wheels, you get the right touch, and cutting one shaft takes exactly 20 seconds.
I had no experience with Sifam 1/8' collet knobs, but ELMA's fits fine.

Igor said:
Switch should be grip in a vice (?) this is how Google translates it from RU :)

you mean shaft, not the switch itself
same as cutting sontec pots  ;)

Back