Front panel decals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheadstedford

Hello again!
Any one know of a place in the uk where i can get some pattern style decals much like the slate pro audio dragon compressor?
Im getting the front panel drilled in 2 days so looking for decals and markings asap!!!!
Heres a link to the slate pro dragon:

http://www.studioxchange.co.uk/WebRoot/StoreGB/Shops/62106674/4B61/728E/4692/3E90/361F/C0A8/2A95/2EBE/slate-pro-audio-dragon_m.jpg

Any suggestions?

you could use water transfers for the text.
i actually think i saw a very similar 'embossed?' type wallpapery effect like that dragon pattern for sale as one of the "fablon" designs in wilkinsons (UK)
if you have no luck elsewhere or paintwise that might look ok, i ave seen other people use just stickers so i dont see why not

I always spray on a clear polyurethane after applying panel decals. It protects the fragile decal from wear or damage. Be sure that it is thoroughly dry before coating, and apply in several light coats.

regards, Jack

Thanks peeps, still cant seen to find anything.
Checked out the fablon film stuff whis nice but there is inly flower patterns, im lookin for more tribal stuff if you know what i mean or somethin like this:

http://www.zapsonline.com/40413-26344-large/canyon-black-with-orange-tribal-pattern-10-notebook-sleeve-ascnr-nb20o.jpg

Obviously not orange but the idea of that style pattern in gloss black around two opposite corners on an anodized black front panel seem real nice to me. That little extra 2% you know.
But cant seem to find anything

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/article/show/14

I have been using them since they were first set up. If you have your own artwork they'll do it for you.
Scroll down the page and see their prices. It is not particularly cheap but cheaper than most of other places.

If you get a dry transfer made then you'll need to use a varnish over the front panel so that they don't rub off. A little tip on the application of the transfer and the varnish.

Secure the front panel onto the table by using masking tape on the corners or the areas that there will not be any transfer applied to.

Position the dry transfer over and also secure it from the edges with a masking tape. Worst thing happens when you are rubbing it down that the sheet moves and the transfer cracks or splits.

Normally you should be using a proper rubbing tool which looks like a hockey club but you can use the curved end of a pen or something similar.

When rubbing the transfer down always start from one end and make your way to the other. Also rub one pattern at a time not the whole sheet in one go.

For the varnish Use Marabu brand. It is the best. You can get gloss, semi-gloss and matt. Shake the can very well. Two-three minutes. Spray it from a distance of about a foot. Better to practice with a cheap paint first so that you get the right feel.

Spray a light coat first. Leave it to dry for a couple of hours. Then the second light coat and leave it for another couple of hours. Then the final coat. Do not rush. If you spray a very heavy coat there will be a great danger of transfer bubbling.

Here is a good example for you.

http://www.robotica.co.uk/robotica/pddp/products/football_cd.htm

sheadstedford said:
Any one know of a place in the uk where i can get some pattern style decals much like the slate pro audio dragon compressor?
Im getting the front panel drilled in 2 days so looking for decals and markings asap!!!!

Any suggestions?

I don't think that the Slate box is a decal.  I think it is a combo of gloss and matte paint.  I'm sure you could get a similar appearance with a decal though. 

good tips from sahib. u also want to test a bit of the panel ( i usually check the back)to ensure the paints/varnish are compatible and dont react badly to each other.

Latest posts

Back