PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well let me give some more updates on exactly what happened:

I got everything together, first power up there was only a faint weak trebly distorted sound coming out...after many hours of angry words I finally realized, stupidly I didn't have it grounded correctly. So grounded it and it started producing some real sounds.

At first I had the two stages connected to a 10k dual ganged pot. But for testing purposes I un hooked them and used different pots for input/makeup gain. that stages seem pretty immune to using different values, I think right now I have a 10k pot with a 3k resistor on the leads and the a 50k pot on the makup stage, I'm sure it could probably use some tweaking later.

So next power up the side-chain was acting funky....with no signal the meter would sit around "0" (i just had a vu hooked up to it but I think it requires a 1ma DC meter) but its seemed to respond correctly...the meter was bouncing to the music, just was off...

So come to find out, I had the decay switch rotated one notch to far to the left when I soldered it in, and also a 2n4124 transistor was burnt out probably from me messing with some of the trim pots and maybe turning them too far to one side (just a guess).

Mind you during all this the oscillator was not working and the 100 ohm resistor by the oscillator was getting hot to the touch.
Well I switched out different hand wound transformers....getting very discouraged, thinking well this is crazy....Its not going to work...so I just took the little transformer out (i tested about 5 different ones up to that point).

And well then I made those changes as stated before, and other fiddlings and well installed one final little hand wound transformer....(mainly to get the meter to sit at "0" because I found it doesn't with no transformer installed)

But low and behold!! WE get signal!
There is a waveform that very closely matches the pictures I was sent of a working pye. You can imagine my excitement... So next thing is to probe the base of the chopping transistor.....and by turning the ratio switches I can artificially trigger the side-chain...and what do a see on the oscilloscope? These amazing waveforms! They get wider during peak reduction and smaller during less reduction, just like the manual states! I was blown away, I have no Idea how it does it but it does, it was very beautiful to see (I had been staring at a blank oscilloscope for many hours....that could be why :))

Well anyway, very excited its working, I do a few more tests, also the side-chain isn't detecting audio correctly (like it was) and I have to move wires and what not to get it to work intermittently. But I'm very confident I will get the problem sorted, as it was responding correctly before, and the only big issue in my mind was getting the oscillator to work, and I think its easier to get to work than any of us could of imagined.

My oscillator is running at 500khz so I need to tweak the transformer etc....

anyway very excited how this is turning out, my oscilloscope broke (how ironic!) so I've stopped working on it for the time being, otherwise I (hopefully) would of brought news of a completely working unit.

Going to continue progress today. Either by fixing mine, or borrowing a friends down the street.

Thanks for bearing with my long post, hopefully someone finds this helpful (and not radial! ;) )
Cheers,
Abe

Switch D6 and D7 sidechains doides opposite than footprint! Spent all day banging my head against the wall!!

It works!

Cheers!

Abe

Rob Flinn said:
He means install them the wrong way round compared to  the screen print on the top of the pcb.

Yep.

thx,
Abe

Oh PS, found that when the oscillator isn't oscillating the meter doesn't sit at zero and the 100 ohm resistor heats up. Also I pulled the one toroid that worked out and tried some different versions to try and get the frequency more ~250khz...turns out it was very lucky that I took notes on the one that worked, because it seems very particular on what transformer it will and will not oscillate with.I tried about 5 other designs before rebuilding the one that works. I think we need to source some t-50-2 (i believe thats what was pictured on the original) I am having a time sourcing them....but Ive only tried fleabay and mouser... Found some T-25-2 on fleabay - from the UK. Also learned that the T-"xx"-2 numbers stand for size of the toroid and the T-50-"x" number stands for type (they are color coded, 2 is red).

Also I don't think a ne555 chip implementation will work...Seems that the sidechain voltage directly changes the oscillator frequency...at least thats what I can tell from the tests I've done with the cheap digital oscilloscope I've borrowed while I wait for parts on my analog one.

I think pn3640 isn't a good replacement...Its hard to find a good data sheet on the original v405 chopping transistor, but I think the circuit can't saturate the pn3640 completely so it just amplifies the chopping wave, instead of switching it on and off...I am looking at some promising substitutes.

Also R75 marked on the meter board is actually 11k parralled with a 20k to get the  correct ratio ~ 7096.7 ohms

Got my red torroids today.... getting ready to test them

Yes, I couldn't get Red Toroid to work...? But using a Iron powder and ferrite core toroid I'm able to get it to run at roughly 220khz.

But now I'm realizing the sidechain isn't responding correctly....very jumpy and not very pleasant. So Instead of throwing the whole mess through my window and hacking it up in the garden, I decided to take a break from it for a bit.

I hate to post again....but I feel like I should give an update. Also considering its good news :) 

I've been trying out various toroids,  I found one that is getting closer. Now the sidechain preforms as it should, no more "dirty" compression. And the  sound of this unit is actually very nice. Getting to the point of being usable ;D

The last torrid was oscillating at around 200khz but it was a kind of dirty oscillation. But it wasn't sufficient to work the chopper transistor correctly.

So the one I'm currently experimenting with oscillates at about 80khz, much cleaner oscillation, and sidechain is responding as it should. There is some slight high frequency feed-through, I'm assuming from the chopping frequency being lower than designed for.

Can't wait to post some sound examples when its 100% working.

Thanks,
Abe

Found the solution to the problem I've been having with these units.

Works Great, and Sounds great! Really totally natural sound to it. Surprising for something that totally makes mince meat of the signal. Now I need to rack up my pair for my Stereo Buss!

People want audio clips? Also want me to offer pre-wound toroids in my shop?

Also I'm getting an ERRATTA sheet together with information on the toroid. I'll send that along with anyone who orders a PCB
Cheers,

Abe

Well never used or heard a Pye, could be a nice try, so pre-wound torroids for me too...

PS: If this one was in 51X format, it would have been cool too....

Back