PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might I be so bold as to say maybe nix the prewound toroid. This is DIY, and you're doing most of the 'doing' already... no neet to let you build our projects for us. It would be nice, however to have access to the materials you used EG, be able to buy the toroidal core and appropriate amount of magnet wire from you, then we can wind away, saving you your hard-earned free time. :)

Good work on this Abe.

BTW, used to live in Provo as a kid, have family in SLC. Utah is a beautiful place, if you don't mind the weather extremes... :)

gemini86 said:
Might I be so bold as to say maybe nix the prewound toroid. This is DIY, and you're doing most of the 'doing' already... no neet to let you build our projects for us. It would be nice, however to have access to the materials you used EG, be able to buy the toroidal core and appropriate amount of magnet wire from you, then we can wind away, saving you your hard-earned free time. :)

Good work on this Abe.

BTW, used to live in Provo as a kid, have family in SLC. Utah is a beautiful place, if you don't mind the weather extremes... :)

Touche. The toroid are surprisingly simple to make. It would be just as easy for me to wind them as sell the individual parts. I can totally respect doing it yourself. The knowledge must be spread! :)

Yes you need a scope.
Yes this project is still in its infancy.
and yes its totally worth building it.

One grounding trace might have to be cut. This board is the last one I let the computer decide how to run the grounds...
I'lll put that in the erratta today if needs be. not hard to do, a little pain in the butt but hey that DIY.

And UT is great...I never thought I would end up living here, but the longer I stay the more I like it.

Cheers!

and why doesn't it automatically oscillate using the toroid and winding ratio of the original?

The original *looks* like its using a t-25-2 core and 5 and 3 windings.

I've tried that combination many many times, and never could get it to work. My only assumption could be that the red core toroid we see in the pictures is actually a toroid with a much higher inductance rating than the t-25-2.

I can only get it to oscillate by sandwiching toroids together. The inductance goes up....the frequency goes down. The capacitance goes up the frequency goes down.  In my limited testing as long as the circuit is oscillating at the correct frequency the sound doesn't change.

It will probably be worth looking into some high inductance small toroids, if someone wants to roll their own but only use one toroid. but for right now I can supply toroids that work for people that are more into recording than fiddling with equipment (Stuck in rural utah you all can guess what side of that fence I've found myself on)

Okay Thanks as always, :)
Abe

I can supply toroids that work for people that are more into recording than fiddling with equipment

u said it abe, i havent even had time to look at the pcb/schematic never mind comtemplating winding my own coil.

u build it, we'll buy it. simple as...

well, last time i used them i wanted to use them on the drum rooms but the producer got me to squish all sorts with them, AC guitar, kick, snare etc. i still think they would probably be best for drum rooms, parallel drum subs, parallel vocal compression. the kinda squishing where you look at the crazy gain reduction going on and raise an eyebrow at the producer to see if he's happy about the situation!!

check 1st post for consolidated errata

also for the inductors use these:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=6310-RCvirtualkey54200000virtualkey542-6310-RC

This thread is getting kind of old but I do plan on offering the boards along with complete build manual. I just bought a impedance measuring device as to find an easy replacement for the toroid in the oscillator that i custom wind using 2 separate transformers (one is a mysterious black one that I bought a bunch of off flea bay a while back so I have no idea how to determine its impedance beyond measuring it.)

But to keep the flame alive here is a beatiful case that Dan of custom cases is going to be offering!!

Pye1_smaller.jpg

8)

Latest posts

Back