PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey abe

glad to see this thread is still alive.

i finally got my pcb all hooked up and i subbed in the 120r resistor in place of the
oscillator inductor but unfortuneatley its not working. :-\ all im getting a very low oscillating sound coming through?
ive double checked everything and im pretty confident its not a mistake on my side, am i still missing something??
i see ur talking about using a 555 chip should i be looking at this instead???

cheers
mick

leadbreath said:
hey abe

glad to see this thread is still alive.

i finally got my pcb all hooked up and i subbed in the 120r resistor in place of the
oscillator inductor but unfortuneatley its not working. :-\ all im getting a very low oscillating sound coming through?
ive double checked everything and im pretty confident its not a mistake on my side, am i still missing something??
i see ur talking about using a 555 chip should i be looking at this instead???

cheers
mick

Hey Mick,

is your oscillator running?

Wait, just reread your post, sorry I think there was some confusion, you can sub the 120R resistors for the L1 and L2 inductors of the filter circuit, not the oscillator torriod. But you can sub a 555 chip set to ping at 250Khz and feed that into D1

Hi Mick,
What I did is on the "playground" part of the PCB solder in a dip 8 socket and then you wire up the power for the NE555 chip. (remembering that the "+" rail is actually ground, so you hook the "gnd" of the 555 chip to the negative rail and the VCC to "gnd" etc etc) Hope i didn't make things more confusing, but important to remember since the Pye runs off a negative rail.

Anyway, then I am using a 100p capacitor as the timing cap, and then used a 20k resistor from the power to discharge pin and a 2k trimmer (to fine tune the frequency) to the Trig pin. Using the totally standard setup you always see the ne555 circuit setup as (2 resistors and a cap) Then you feed that directly into D1.

You might want to use the TLC555 as some cheaper NE555's don't even get up to a faster oscillation than about 150khz and you want to set yours to 250khz.

Also be sure to use a 1nf cap across the power rails close to the chip. Helps stabilize it. Good luck!

Hi Abe (and everybody else), glad to see this is still alive, sounds like a most interesting project! Also glad it seems NE555 will substitute easily a custom wound oscillator I had no idea how to put this together.

My question would be, if I go the NE555 route, can I eliminate R47, TR14, R49 and C25? Otherwise it is not clear to me where the emitter of TR14 would be connected to. Maybe u can sketch us a small circuit example for the use of this IC?

Best Regards,
M.

Hello :)
Yes I have the rev 2 boards (had them for a while now) just checking and making sure the NE555 chip replacement for the oscillator sounds like the original toroidal oscillator and various other things. I admit I need to get cracking on it. Thanks for the reminder guys!! Should have boards and kits available soon.

... it's killing me too...  ;D
sooooo much DIY to do...

Great project!! Respect Abe!
I'm in for one!

ROCK-ON!

abechap024 said:
Hello :)
Yes I have the rev 2 boards (had them for a while now) just checking and making sure the NE555 chip replacement for the oscillator sounds like the original toroidal oscillator and various other things. I admit I need to get cracking on it. Thanks for the reminder guys!! Should have boards and kits available soon.

very cool, love it, i'am in for two

Latest posts

Back