PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickvivid said:
Is the BOM the same / similar to the rev 1? I was going to order everything needed to populate the boards this week if possible
Its close, but a few slight updates. New one in the works....
Thanks!
abe

???

Forgive my ignoramusness but what the deal with "CAP100, CAP200, CAP300, CAP350, CAP200RP, CAP250RP" in the BOM?

Sizing of the pins?
What do I look for on Mouser or DigiKey to make sure I'm picking the right size or parts for these?

Trim pots - What's the deal with "22R, RELEASE TRIM, 5K1 METER TRIM, 220K, 1M8(USE RESISTOR)?

Since all the resistors are "RES400", I'm assuming they are just standard resistors.

I think most of the rest actually make sense to me.  :eek:
:p
Thanks.

I way prefer to get the board first, and then order my BOM. Half the time I end up ordering personal choice parts anyway...(aside from key components).

Do we really need to ask Abe to hold our hand through everything?  ;) I think he's done a little more than enough guys.

I measure all my own lead spacings anyway, just to be sure.

Fair enough.
I've just been so stoked and excited I just wanted to get it all in.

Also I'm not especially experienced. Just teaching myself as I go.

I think a ad said there will eventually be some instructions. If I was smart I'd have patience and wait for that.

I wasn't entirely describing your post Grummy.

FWIW, I'm assuming that 1/4 watt, 6.5mm resistors are used for this build. I too am unfamiliar with those notations cap100, res400, etc.

@Grummy  :) ...patience is so important in DIY. If you like what the unit does when it's finished, you're going to have it a long time...so it's best to take the build nice and slow and do your best
getting everything right. Being in a rush is an invitation for small mistakes, which are easily done in this craft...and sometimes quite difficult to resolve later, which results in even more frustration.

Abe, can't wait for the boards, and thanks for the new BOM. Will start ordering parts asap.

As for the power xformer, how many amps are these units expecting to draw? I was thinking of getting one xformer to power the 4 I'm building, but perhaps that isn't a good idea. Your input is appreciated.

nickvivid said:
Abe, can't wait for the boards, and thanks for the new BOM. Will start ordering parts asap.

As for the power xformer, how many amps are these units expecting to draw? I was thinking of getting one xformer to power the 4 I'm building, but perhaps that isn't a good idea. Your input is appreciated.

I don't know the exact numbers but it is very low power... (150ma each maybe??) I'm sure your one power tx will be plenty for 4 units.

Hi!
I got a few of these around from an old project of mine.
http://www.lundahl.se/pdf/1517.pdf
Could these be used as output and interstage transformers?
/
Emil

Studio Mollan said:
Hi!
I got a few of these around from an old project of mine.
http://www.lundahl.se/pdf/1517.pdf
Could these be used as output and interstage transformers?
/
Emil

I don't see why not. They will *work* fine for the output, but its going to limit your maximum output level. I would wire them up for 1:2 operation.
I wouldn't waste them on interstage, but you sure could try it!

Hey Abe.  Is there any way to make sure you received payment from me?  I was just looking at my PayPal account, and don't see anything.  I'm pretty sure I sent you payment for boards though.  Thanks!

Hey Abe, I received my boards! They look great! Also noticed a couple extra little DOA boards included. Where can I find info on those? Can't wait to start rocking these out.

are you sure they're not the monolytic and discrete oscilator boards ?

One question, by the way :
what specs should the interstage transformer exhibit ( input impédance, expected max input level ) ?
Would, for example a mic input transformer work ?
Thanks !

Laurent.

Since the boards arrived, I started to collect items in my BOM and I have few questions.

1. to repeat what Biasrocks previously asked... any info on T3 for discrete board?

2. I'm confused with R38... in the original schematic this is a 100R resistor. Abe listed it as an inductor with value 12 uH in the BOM1, and on some previous pages here Abe mentioned to use 120R as a sub for L1 and L2. This is what confuses me - what is L2? It's not on the board (maybe I'm not looking for it carefully enough), it's not in the BOM1. Is this R38 with original value 12 uH? Can I sub it for 10uH inductor (12uH is not available in local shops)?

3. Is there any special reason that in BOM1 capacitor C38 has value 0.1uF and it's not listed along C11 and C13 that have value 100nF. This is the same value and same footprint cap! 100nF=0.1uF. Is it maybe some different voltage rating or something else different in between those caps?

4. Tantalum C27... is voltage rating of 16V enough or it should be 25V...or more?

5. Transistors TR18 & TR16... any preference between BC560A and 2N3906 or I just grab what I have first around?

6. Can I use any other input transformer other than Cinemag? Cinemags are expensive in europe (especially here in Croatia!) cause shipping from US can kill!

7. Output transformer is wired from output XLR (U4) label on board, right? This U4 is unbalanced out?

:)

thnx!!

Latest posts

Back