PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick from Davis said:
That looks to be 12 parallel/24 volts in series on the secondary winding.  For a single channel unit, that would be fine in series.  For a stereo unit, I think you would want one that does 24/48 on the secondaries, so that there are two separate windings, one winding for each of the compressors.  Just to keep things separated.  That is what I thought Abe said a number of posts back.
Patrick

For real?
In post #265 Abe said this with regards to power transformer: "Yes you could use a 24V ac (or DC) wall wart 1 amp and it would run fine. These things don't use that much power..."

I assumed he was referring to a stereo unit because he specifies 1 amp. Damnit. I already ordered the mouser cart too. Balls.

dogma said:
Also is this a feed forward or feedback deal? I ask becUse the great river does both and then a blend of - the other pwm schematic does both. It's a very cool feature on the tonelux comp and I would love to have something like that as a possibility
Its feedback. you could pretty easily tweak it to be feedforward but might get kinda squirly. Or might sound awesome. I dont know, dont really have a desire to try as I like it as is, but all you would do is feed the sidechain transformer with a signal pre pwm transistor.

Also this compressor will work great for electronic music, it handles transients very well so it is your friend.

As far as total power is concerned, I do not see a problem.  Having the two separate secondaries will probably keep the crosstalk in the transformer down for a lower noise floor.  It might not matter, but I understand the idea.
Patrick

This would be my first attempt at a project off of this forum. So forgive the basic question(s).

Are the boards (and possibly toroid) currently available?

How does the process work for ordering these items?

Thanks you.

The boards are in the pre sale state, at some point enough will be ordered so that it is economical for Abe to have a bunch manufactured.  There is a Mouser cart for all of the bits and pieces, and Collective Cases has the box for it.  As far as the toroid for the PWM, the build (this) thread has a lot of discussion on it and possibles to use from Mouser.  The toroid can also be replaced with the 555 circuit, making matching freq's much easier, with no change in sound.  There are options, and depending on how you wish to approach this you can act accordingly.  Personally, I am making the 555 circuit because if the sound and performance are not effected, it should be easier to get it done that way.
Patrick

Thank you Patrick.

So is the mechanism for getting on the pre-sale list simply saying I want a pair in this thread? Or somewhere else?

Thanks again, and bear with, I'll get the hang of this....

Mark

I went to acsound.com and ordered one there.  It is Abe's site.  There is also a thread in the White Market where you can get all of the store/ordering/news info.
Patrick

Thanks again. i went to Abes site and ordered two. I ordered the meters from HB, and I ordered the case.

Im having trouble getting the mouser cart to load from a couple pages pack.

Then its just the transformers, and I want to be dead sure on those before I order them.  :)

There were a couple of Mouser carts, one Canadian, one US. I just went to the page, and added it to my cart and then checked out the price.  Abe has mentioned the transformers in this thread a couple of times.  I asked Cinemag about the input transformers and they said ~$115 with shipping, if I remember correctly.  The Edcors have also been listed, and from what I understand, they are about $12 a piece.  I am not worried about the info in the thread, but there was mumblings from Abe about kits.  If it was at a reduced price, I'm all for it.  Considering I am waiting for the boards, waiting for the kit is nothing different.  But, I do like saving/getting a deal.
Patrick

" I asked Cinemag about the input transformers and they said ~$115 with shipping,"

Hey Patrick,
Is that for both channels?

Yes, Here is what the message read, "Thank you for the inquiry about the CMLI-15/15BPC.  They are $52.37 each
+ sales tax.  UPS Ground will be $10.50."  About $115, I guess sales tax gets added in there as well, so probably a bit more.
Patrick

Hey Abe (and anyone else who might be able to answer my questions),

I'm getting the boards I order stuffed and for the most part, everything is going great. Here are a few questions I've had:

-How do I know I have the orientation of the rotary switches correct? Where is pin 1 on the PCB? Also, should the switches be attached to the backside of the board so that the the resistors and text of the board is facing away from the front panel? Does this even matter?

-How does one implement the stereo link switch and the off, in, bypass switch? I'm guessing some sort of Lorlin rotary but I'm far too green to discern a way to wire these switches!

-Lastly, is there a calibration procedure?

Once I overcome these obstacles I should have a working compressor in no time!

The enclosure arrived from Dan this morning. Looks even better in person than the photos. Great bit 'o kit!

Havent seen the meters, Mouser cart or boards yet.....

Travis: What version boards are you building?

Have not done anything with transformers yet. I have some vintage UTCs of various design. Once I dig them out I may ask questions about suitability.

Mdainsd I am building the boards marked rev 3.14 these were from the first pre-order back in feb/march.

Aside from not flipping the transistors that I'm using substitutes on, its gone together fairly smooth.

Latest posts

Back