PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone still working on these? I've got one going (slowly) at the moment, just checking in.

I've got one going, but it's spread out all over my bench right now.  Gonna be putting it in a box soon :)
Jensen input transformers, and an extra Class A gain stage on the output feeding a Carnhill OPT
Best,
Bruno2000

I got one working. Maybe a bit too noisy and with a mismatch of output gains (dual unit).
But I took it to studio to play with it and later I'll see to fix those issues.
Compression in this unit is incredible sounding!
:)

If anyone has given up on their project I'd be interested in two more boards (the later version).  8)

I was making some power inductors for someone here on the forum, but can't remember who it was :(
Please PM me.
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

Couple questions for anyone...

Does it matter which side of the switchboard I mount the switches on? I was assuming that they should be mounted on the backside of the pcb, with the silk screen facing away from the front panel.

Does anyone know of a good receptacle and pin combo that works well for the oscillator plugin?  I would like to be able to unplug it if needed. I've searched for a Millmax solution but it's tough to nail down. I think the pcb and plugin mounting hole sizes are ~1.25mm. I've already incorrectly ordered some stuff from Mouser regarding this, so this is a second time around.  ;D

Regarding c7. I think a few people had mentioned that the polarity was silk screened backwards. There's no mention of this in the build guide. Was this a false alarm or is this cap indeed marked backwards?

I was able to remove the switches quickly and cleanly thanks to my desoldering gun. Happy days...

It's odd because, based on Abe's picture somewhere in this thread, the switches are mounted on the silkscreened side, however, both the molex footprint and the silkscreened switch functions indicate that the switches are mounted on the backside of the switchboard in order to make sense when mounted on the frontpanel. This means that the switchboard has to be mounted in the frontpanel upside down to make sense with the functions on dan's frontpanel. No biggy...but dan should've made the ratio, limit and release the other way around to match the switchboard. That's why it made sense to me, that they were to be mounted on the backside of the switchboard.... but I guess not!

As far as the millmax pins...I guess no one has an answer so I'll just keep digging in and researching cause it would be nice to be able to unplug the oscillator need be...

There's no indication anywhere recently in the thread or the build guide that the polarity of c7 is indeed backwards, so those folks that mentioned it earlier in this thread(cause ya know, I did read the whole thread) must be wrong. Those posts should be removed if so, as they create confusion.

Back at it... :)

The switches and the connector go on the silkscreened side of the switch board. I had trouble with that too at first.
If you have one of Dan's cases the board does install upside down, (connector towards the bottom.)

As far as the millmax pins, perhaps Jeff at CAPI can give you some advice.  All of the DOA's seem to use them.  I had this same idea and asked about it earlier, but the common thought was to just get it working and leave it be.  Still wondering about it, but life got in the way of my projects, so I am waaaaaaay far behind.

I used MilMax pins, but the holes on the board were the wrong size.  Too small.  So, I used a piece of wire through the hole and into the pin.  I'll look up the part number of the pins I used and post it.
Best,
Bruno2000

I just used leads cut off of some of the diodes and used them. I never had a reason to remove that board anyway.

The only thing I left removable at first was the chopper transistor. Just pushed it into its pad holes while getting things up and going then soldered it.

Patrick from Davis said:
As far as the millmax pins, perhaps Jeff at CAPI can give you some advice.  All of the DOA's seem to use them.  I had this same idea and asked about it earlier, but the common thought was to just get it working and leave it be.  Still wondering about it, but life got in the way of my projects, so I am waaaaaaay far behind.

Hey Patrick

I spent a good while trying to find the right mounting holes sizes on various Millmax data sheets, but it always seemed that the receptacles and pins that were meant to go together had different mounting hole sizes, whereas the Pye has the same mounting hole size for both the pin and receptacle(board/daughter board). I probably spent 2-3 hours going over data sheets and attempting to measure sizes and they were still incorrect when they arrived.  ;D I believe the mounting holes @ the oscillator board are ~1.25mm. I may just leave it and solder them as I have a good desoldering gun and it wouldn't be that hard to remove if need be. I'm not sure if another round with Millmax is worth it. :) Seems to be somewhat tricky to get it right.

Latest posts

Back